Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help with New vibration on new 35's

Old 06-07-2014, 06:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 35 inch mtr/k has had a substantial vibration at 35 mph and specifically on deceleration so I'm going to take it in for a rebalance.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've run Goodyear mtr, Goodyear duratrac, cooper STT, Bfg at and Bfg mt km2's currently. Only the at required balancing a single time. Good years were worst with balance, cooper best. I gave 4wp where I bought the km2's twice to get them balanced before paying the more convienant discount tire to get the balance right. Once you get the balance right you shouldn't feel the vibration what do ever at any speed. The km2's ride great with a proper balance and 30 psi. 35x12.50x17 on pintlers . 2014 jkur.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JustJeepinWithYa
Here's the deal: 2014 JKU, 2.5" aev lift with geo correct brackets just this last weekend. drove around all day sunday and monday with no issues.... Monday: 315/70/17 duratracs and atx wheels installed. Noticing a small but consistent steering wheel and front end vibration over 50+ mph. Just plugged in my procal this evening to correct for tire size but doubt that will help.... Any ideas on what is causing this? Balance issue? Loose track bar from lift? Lower control arms? or is this just something that all you guys deal with at highway speeds with the big rubbers???
When it hits you around 50is it's balance. I have no explanation as to why it's always around 50ish mph but it is. Jeeps, trucks, whatever. I've seen it on any vehicles many times.

It may get worse and turn into death wobble if you have other steering and suspension issues, but the trigger that you are feeling at 50 is a tire issue.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:01 AM
JK Newbie

So I guess the next question for me is... Do I take it in this week and scrape all the equal out or deal with a inconsistent mild vibration at 55 that comes and goes? Anyone with 315 duratracs that have dialed them in perfect?
Old 06-09-2014, 05:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JustJeepinWithYa
So I guess the next question for me is... Do I take it in this week and scrape all the equal out or deal with a inconsistent mild vibration at 55 that comes and goes? Anyone with 315 duratracs that have dialed them in perfect?
Scrape all the weight off the fronts and then drive it. I fought with balancing MTRKs on my 09 and ended up removing all the weight on a whim and that did the trick. Most of the time it don't balance my tires at first (usually running beadlocks) and they are almost always just fine unbalanced.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 35x12.50r18's balanced out with less than 3 ounces per tire. Two balanced with less than 1 ounce. No vibrations. I suggest you clean out the tire and try having them road force balanced on a good machine. It if calls for excessive weight. Stop. Break the bead and rotate the tire on the wheel 180 degrees and try it again.

Quick Reply: Help with New vibration on new 35's