Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help with New vibration on new 35's

Old 06-03-2014, 04:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with New vibration on new 35's

Here's the deal:

2014 JKU, 2.5" aev lift with geo correct brackets just this last weekend. drove around all day sunday and monday with no issues.... Monday: 315/70/17 duratracs and atx wheels installed. Noticing a small but consistent steering wheel and front end vibration over 50+ mph. Just plugged in my procal this evening to correct for tire size but doubt that will help.... Any ideas on what is causing this? Balance issue? Loose track bar from lift? Lower control arms? or is this just something that all you guys deal with at highway speeds with the big rubbers???
Old 06-03-2014, 04:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

It sounds like a wheel balance issue. Go back and get tires rebalanced
Old 06-03-2014, 05:56 PM
JK Newbie

x2 on rebalancing. Also, might check the torque on everything after driving it for a couple days. I had a vibration after the first shake down run and needed to re-torque the frame side TB bolt.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine did the same thing when I went to 35s, turns out the ball joints were shot.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:45 AM
JK Newbie

Lower your tire pressure to around 30 psi and see what happens
Old 06-04-2014, 06:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wheel balance AND make sure your wheels are on properly with the lugs seated. If the wheels aren't hub centric, they are lug centric and improper mount will start as a vibration, get worse and eventually snap your wheel studs.

Last edited by Jeepstin12; 06-04-2014 at 06:48 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:05 AM
JK Newbie

Default help with new vibration on 35's

Check to make sure the retaining clips the factory uses to hold rotors on have been removed. After market wheels have no provision for these and will cause a vibration.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Had the same problem. Out of balance. Took them to a shop that had Road Force balance and everything is fine now
Old 06-06-2014, 07:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by chad s
Had the same problem. Out of balance. Took them to a shop that had Road Force balance and everything is fine now
Had my setup "rebalanced" today which involved adding more "equal" to my tires. No wheel weights on the insides at all. Left from soho still had a vibration between 55-65. Drove about 30 miles on it, hit the freeway again and like magic smooth as silk. Wtf? Anyone dealt with this stuff and had similar issue? I made an appointment at my off road shop to balance but seems good now. They want to scrape all the equal out and used inner weights to balance.......
Old 06-06-2014, 07:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JustJeepinWithYa
Had my setup "rebalanced" today which involved adding more "equal" to my tires. No wheel weights on the insides at all. Left from soho still had a vibration between 55-65. Drove about 30 miles on it, hit the freeway again and like magic smooth as silk. Wtf? Anyone dealt with this stuff and had similar issue? I made an appointment at my off road shop to balance but seems good now. They want to scrape all the equal out and used inner weights to balance.......
must be the tire. Goodyear, right? Won't be the first or the last that wouldn't balance.

Quick Reply: Help with New vibration on new 35's