Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help Needed. Random not starting

Old 08-06-2015, 07:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Needed. Random not starting

I for the past 2 months, my 08 JKU has been throwing fits at times. There's nothing consistent about it, and it doesn't happen with any rhyme or reason. It just happens. It'll start daily for weeks, then all of a sudden nothing. After about 20 minutes of turning the key on and off and on and off it'll finally start. When you try to start it, however, there's no engine lights that come on, nothing clicking to indicate a bad starter, and the fuel pump is buzzing. I'm at a complete loss. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:05 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Next time it happens, try moving the shift lever farther into Park, or back to Neutral. See if that changes anything.

A few common causes for this are:
Bad Wireless Control Module
Bad Transmission Range Sensor
Bad ground wire connections
Old 08-07-2015, 08:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just signed on to look for this exact problem on my 08. Let me know if you figure it out and I will do the same.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Next time open hood and give the TIPM (fuse box in front of the battery) a few whacks and then try it.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
Next time open hood and give the TIPM (fuse box in front of the battery) a few whacks and then try it.
Rather than that, if Ronjenx suggestion doesn't work open the hood and the fuse box lid, lift up the white combination fuse holder J13, wait 60 seconds, push it back down until it seats. If this does the job see your dealer and have the Service Action for the wireless control module performed.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:27 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by SoK66

Rather than that, if Ronjenx suggestion doesn't work open the hood and the fuse box lid, lift up the white combination fuse holder J13, wait 60 seconds, push it back down until it seats. If this does the job see your dealer and have the Service Action for the wireless control module performed.
I was more referring to a bad TIPM as its a very common issue in the 2008s. Ask me how I know
Old 08-07-2015, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had an old XJ that did this and it was a bad ground in the system. I had some random wire rub against the frame and wear through the covering. Depending on how I was parked, it would either start or not. Finally it died where I had to get it towed to a shop. $46.75 was my bill. $45 in labor to find the bad ground and $1.75 for a new wire.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Help Needed. Random not starting

Been having the same problem on my '07 JK. Changed to a new Autozone starter and about six months later started doing it again. Thinking that it might a bad starter, went and bought a Mopar starter and still have the same problem. No codes or lights.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:01 AM
JK Newbie

Similar problem on my '10, it wouldn't start, no power, nothing but the red security light, turns out it was a loose wire on the battery terminal, where it splits, the wire to the stater was fine but the auxiliary power wire was just slightly loose, this was after I had the battery tested and the starter tweeted
Old 08-20-2015, 06:02 AM
JK Newbie

Also had no codes

Quick Reply: Help Needed. Random not starting