Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help needed -- MBRP Catback install.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:50 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
MBRP Representative

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JK broker
I installed mine during the summer. I used an impact gun, and have tightend by hand. After 5,000 miles, today it came apart for the 9th time. It is 22 degrees out. Although I love the way it looks and sounds, I think I am going to go back to stock at least til spring.
Originally Posted by Adam3612
Mine hasnt come apart but it has loosened up twice and does not seem to want to seal up properly, really dont like the idea of using a high heat gasket/sealant but whatever. I noticed a few days ago that it was starting to loosen up again so back under there with an impact wrench I went, kind of a PITA but I love the damn thing so much I dont think I would ever put the stock back on.
If you guys are having issues keeping your systems tight, a set of saddle clamps and impact gun would solve the problem really quick. If you have stainless systems they come with band clamps which are more cosmetically appealing, but not as strong. The bolt on the band clamp needs to sit on top of one of the notches in the end of the expansions. This is the only way to get the pipe to close up. You will also need a breaker bar, or impact wrench if you want the band clamps to be tight enough to not move. We run band clamps on our JK's and have not had any issues with them moving when installed tightly.

Let me know if you'd like to try a set of saddle clamps.

Steve
Old 12-17-2009, 12:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MBRP Tech 1
If you guys are having issues keeping your systems tight, a set of saddle clamps and impact gun would solve the problem really quick. If you have stainless systems they come with band clamps which are more cosmetically appealing, but not as strong. The bolt on the band clamp needs to sit on top of one of the notches in the end of the expansions. This is the only way to get the pipe to close up. You will also need a breaker bar, or impact wrench if you want the band clamps to be tight enough to not move. We run band clamps on our JK's and have not had any issues with them moving when installed tightly.

Let me know if you'd like to try a set of saddle clamps.

Steve
I kind of figured thats how they needed to sit, the last one that wasnt sitting quite right I adjusted and retightened the other day when I noticed a little rattle, so far so good. I know the saddle clamps are a sure fire way to correct the issue but they're alot less nice to look at lol. Either way I still love my system and by no means am I knocking you guys or your product, MBRP makes some real nice stuff and I couldnt ask for better quality.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:18 PM
JK Newbie

how does this package sound and perform, i was thinking of ordering it for mine
Old 12-17-2009, 12:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am curious about the sound as well. I am thinking about getting this catback as well, since my straight pipe is only temporary.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:24 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by alabamaslinger
Originally Posted by IcyFridge
I am curious about the sound as well. I am thinking about getting this catback as well, since my straight pipe is only temporary.
IMO it sounds awesome, almost like theres a small 8 under the hood. It's not obnoxiously loud, no drone and after a few hundred kilometres I noticed a slight increase in throttle response and I dont seem to be shifting gears nearly as often when I hit an incline on the highway. Well worth the money if you ask me, cant wait to really start modding my jeep because i'll be buying alot of MBRP's stuff.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:47 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
MBRP Representative

Originally Posted by alabamaslinger
Originally Posted by IcyFridge
There are tons of videos on youtube if you guys want to get an idea of what our systems sound like...There is really no comparison to hearing it in person though. I would say 99% of people running our systems are completely satisfied.

Steve

Quick Reply: Help needed -- MBRP Catback install.