Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help needed -- MBRP Catback install.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to know becuase I am installing mine this weekend, is there any write ups on this? Did you guys jack your rigs up or just crawled underneath?
Old 11-17-2009, 01:02 PM
db1
JK Enthusiast

Default All done

Hey guys.

Thanks for the responses. I didn't have an impact wrench, so I used a braker bar to get some increased leverage. I was able to really crank down on the clamps. Everything I read was dead on. The biggest PITA was getting the stock exhaust off. It took me over 2 hours. I eventually cut all of the stock hangers with a rotozip. The whole project ended up taking over 3+ hours. It would not have taken that long if I had thought about the braker bar earlier. I did not jack up the jeep, I just crawled under. Everything mounts up nice. Jeep's got a nice throaty tone to it now. I'll post up a before and after video when I get a chance.

db1
Old 12-14-2009, 12:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may be getting this from Santa, so I'm really curious about your install experience. Do you have a 2 or 4 door? Did you move your evap? Off road model or stock muffler setup?
Thanks
Steve
Old 12-14-2009, 01:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MBRP Tech 1
we do not recommend welding the system but a little bit of high temp silicone usually does the trick.

Hope this helps.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Steve
why?
Old 12-14-2009, 01:07 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by stevedolce
I may be getting this from Santa, so I'm really curious about your install experience. Do you have a 2 or 4 door? Did you move your evap? Off road model or stock muffler setup?
Thanks
Steve
X2
Old 12-14-2009, 01:11 PM
JK Junkie

yeah im also wondering why they recomend not welding it ?
Old 12-14-2009, 01:13 PM
db1
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevedolce
Thanks
Steve
4dr
no need to move the evap can.
mounts up like the stock muffler set up. It actually tucks up a little higher than the stock muffler.

Like I mentioned before, the install was easy once I figured out what to use to really crank down on the clamps. The removal of the stock exhaust was definitely the worst part.

Hopefully Santa is good to you!!!
Old 12-16-2009, 10:38 AM
JK Newbie

Default Same issue

I installed mine during the summer. I used an impact gun, and have tightend by hand. After 5,000 miles, today it came apart for the 9th time. It is 22 degrees out. Although I love the way it looks and sounds, I think I am going to go back to stock at least til spring.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:14 PM
JK Freak

Mine hasnt come apart but it has loosened up twice and does not seem to want to seal up properly, really dont like the idea of using a high heat gasket/sealant but whatever. I noticed a few days ago that it was starting to loosen up again so back under there with an impact wrench I went, kind of a PITA but I love the damn thing so much I dont think I would ever put the stock back on.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:19 PM
JK Junkie

this dosent sound good.. just got mine installed.... hope it stays togther

Quick Reply: Help needed -- MBRP Catback install.