Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help needed

Old 04-10-2012, 07:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Help needed

A few questions. I have a 2007 Unlimited. I just sold my 35" tires and looking to get 37"+ tires now. I really want to go 38 or even 40 but know that I'm probably looking at a lot of work to go with 40s. So I'm thinking 38s (if I can find this size for a 17" wheel). Here is a list of everything I have on the Jeep now:

TF 3" kit with: 9550 shocks, front brake lines that came in the kit, rear brake line drop brackets that came in the kit, front discos that came in the kit, rear trackbar bracket that came in the kit, bump stops that came in the kit, and all other small pieces that came in the kit.

6 control arms (all TF): front lowers, rear lowers, rear uppers

Front Coast driveshaft (rear is still stock)

Pro Rock 44 front with RCVs, ARB, 5.13 gears. Stock rear Dana 44 housing, Chromolly shafts (stock spline), ARB, 5.13s

Front TF monster track bar with reid knuckles and currie tie rod and ends and flipped.

My questions are:

If I were to go 39" or 40" how much am I going to have to do. Will going to a 4" spring give me enough clearance? If I go with 4" springs do I have to change shocks, control arms, and discos? Can I do 38" with 4" springs? I know I will have to chop the fenders and "massage" the pinch seam.

Also I'm rubbing pretty bad now with 35/12.50s on my front discos when disconnected and full stuff and turning. Is this normal. It seems the discos are in the way when disconnected. My wheels are 17x9 with 4.75 BS.

Any help appreciated. I know I can go 37" easily but really want to go even bigger. It's not a daily driver but I do want it to be reliable on the street.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds. Like you are all prepared for 40s from what I have read ...I am moving up from 35s to 38s...but if I had that prorock 44 and your rear axle...I would bump. Up to 40s...because you know that is what we all are headed for
Old 04-10-2012, 08:28 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Epic-Addictions Representative

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Teraflex kits tend to run a bit high, I love them. I bet with 4" springs you would be great for 40's! Not swapping out the shocks may be a bad choice considering the cost, check the travel distance on the teraflex 3"shocks vs. the 4" then decide it may or may not be worth it but it sounds like you got some cash invested I would not comprimise on flex for $200.00 in shocks.

Your rear axle is going to be the weak point running 40's I assume the prorock housing can handle it and well the RCV's are under warranty You can always upgrade to a rear Dana 60

Quick Reply: Help needed