Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help need wheels and tires today!

Old 05-07-2011, 07:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help need wheels and tires today!

I'm currently running a stock setup but want to get new wheels and tires installed on my rig. I'm looking to get 33's or equivalent today and a lift in a month or two. My dilemma is the following: what size wheels (offset and back spacing) and tires can I run on my stock suspension which will still work with a 2.5" teraflex lift later. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

I run 33" Duratracs on 16in pro comp rims. They fit great on the stock. At some point I'm doing 2 1/2 in lift as well.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

You can run 33's with the stock set up. I'm running 33's with the TF 2.5" Coil Lift. Check out the FAQs about Wheels & Tires, lots of good info: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...274#post211274.

Hope to see you around town!!
Old 05-07-2011, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did exactly what other's are saying.

Stock set up with 33" BFG Mud.....then 2½ teraflex lift 5 months later. While it was stock, i had no issues.......other than gas mpg.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:32 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK4AER
You can run 33's with the stock set up. I'm running 33's with the TF 2.5" Coil Lift. Check out the FAQs about Wheels & Tires, lots of good info: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...274#post211274.

Hope to see you around town!!
I read that and other threads but I really haven't found the answer I'm looking for. I've been to two shops in town and they said I couldn't run 33's on the stock suspension they said something about some rubbing in the back. I think he might of thought that I wanted to run my stock wheels but that's not the case. I want new wheels and tires that will have no backspacing issues when I lift it. Thanks for the help though... I might just have to wait a month or two and get it all done at the same time.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jolly_Green_Giant
I read that and other threads but I really haven't found the answer I'm looking for. I've been to two shops in town and they said I couldn't run 33's on the stock suspension they said something about some rubbing in the back. I think he might of thought that I wanted to run my stock wheels but that's not the case. I want new wheels and tires that will have no backspacing issues when I lift it. Thanks for the help though... I might just have to wait a month or two and get it all done at the same time.
I had 33's (285/70/17) on stock rims at one point and no rubbing issues, but I never had it off-road at that time. I think most kits suggest 4.5in backspacing.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default 33

your best bet would be to get 285/75r16 or 285/70r17 on rims with 4.5 - 4.8 inches of backspacing. its the general consensus that there are no problems running this while stock and with a Tera 2.5 it looks amazing. that's what I'm doing anyways.

Marty
Old 05-07-2011, 10:14 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

4.50 BS
35/12.50/xx or 315/75/xx

And toss them in the garage until you get the lift on
Old 05-07-2011, 11:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jolly_Green_Giant
Send me a PM if you want to meet up to check out my setup...33's and TF 2.5" lift - I'm in the Huebner and Bitters area. You won't have any issues with 33's and stock suspension - with or without new wheels. If you are getting new wheels, you will want around a 4.5" BS and an 8-9" rim width. Lastly, you will have issues with stock wheels and most kinds of suspension lifts - the new rear swaybar links you get with the lift tend to rub some without increasing the wheel BS. But, you won't have this problem by getting new wheels (or wheel spacers).
Old 05-07-2011, 04:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set of 5 Jeep Hulk wheels for sale. 17"x7.5". When they were on my JK, I had to use spidertrax wheel spacers to keep them off of my swaybar links. I ended up keeping the spacers on after I put my new wheels on, cause I like the wider wheel base. If you are interested in the wheels send me a PM.

Quick Reply: Help need wheels and tires today!