Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

HELP!!! Need advice about Black Rock Wheels!!!

Old 02-18-2011, 04:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! Need advice about Black Rock Wheels!!!

Okay, please bear with me because this may get lengthy. Several months ago I purchased 17 inch Black Rock Viper 900 wheels for my JK from Summit Racing. I've been waiting to get my lift, which I did this week. I took the Jeep to my local Discount Tire, which price matched a set of Nitto Trail Grapplers in 295/70/17. Discount mounted, balanced, and changed out the sensors to the new wheels and went to install.... and they don't freakin' fit. They are rubbing the front caliper! So now I have a really nice set of new tires and wheels sitting in my garage.

I have looked at these wheels before on other JKs and i am positive I purchased the correct backspacing and wheel pattern. They only come with 0 offset for the JK bolt pattern with 4.5 BS and there are pics of these wheels on JKs on the Black Rock website...

Has anyone with these wheels had this problem? I don't understand how they do not fit. Now the only way I can think of to keep this set up is to run spacers, which I don't think I should have to pay for since this wheel is marketed for this Jeep and there is no mention of needing spacers.

Summit will cut me a deal on a set of 4 spacers, but it's not free. Black Rock won't be able to help until Monday and I fear the answer I will get is they should fit, too bad so sad. So in the end I'm probably the one stuck with dropping extra cash that I shouldn't have to...

Any suggestions or advice? I'm a newbie to all of this. Thanks much.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this might sound stupid, but did you measure the wheel to make sure they sent you 17's. Unless there is something wrong with your caliper, there is no way a 17 with 4.5 backspace shouldn't fit. Something has to be f'd up somewhere!

Last edited by dcharge74; 02-18-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dcharge74
I know this might sound stupid, but did you measure the wheel to make sure they sent you 17's. Unless there is something wrong with your caliper, there is no way a 17 with 4.5 backspace shouldn't fit. Something has to be f'd up somewhere!
I agree with you completely, something just doesn't sound right....
Old 02-18-2011, 05:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well they're probably 17's since the tires were mounted, but I would definitely measure everything just to make sure they are the size you ordered. Measure width, offset, and backspace, since you've got the tape out might as well check the diameter. I would definitely look at the calipers being the problem since 16's are a stock size and lots of people run 15's without clearance issues. It could be a casting issue on the wheel if there's some crazy excess material on the back of the wheel. Good luck, keep us posted.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:22 PM
JK Freak

I'm running a 16"x8" wheel (different brand) with 5.00 backspacing and have no contact. What width are your wheels?
Old 02-18-2011, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

i have 17s and they fit just fine, something doesnt sound right
Old 02-18-2011, 07:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default ??

Agreed, something does not click... 33"s on 15x8 Blackrock 909s with 4Backspacing with nothing but smooth sailing.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:38 PM
JK Newbie

Yes, they are 17s... and they are 8 inches wide. The offset is marked zero on the box and I measured to confirm 4.5 inches of backspace. According to Black Rock's website, this is the ONLY stock option 17 inch wheel for the the JK bolt pattern. They have pics of this exact wheel on their website on a JK. Everything I am finding out from research is that these wheels should fit no problem. The tech at Discount showed me the caliper issue, but the wheel wasn't fully seated and I took his word for it. I am going to try myself tomorrow at home. I am wondering if it does actually fit and for some strange reason the tech didn't think it would just by looks. I'll be happy if that's all it is, but still pissed to go through all of this... I'll post my results and hopefully some pics once it's done.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default hmm

You might be right, the tech could be wrong, especially if they only slid the wheel on without at least testing it. My other though was a bit out there, did you buy your JK new? or used? aftermarket calipers and brakes maybe? a stretch, i know
Old 02-18-2011, 10:08 PM
JK Newbie

Nope, bought it brand new just under a year ago. Anxiously awaiting tomorrow to try the install.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Need advice about Black Rock Wheels!!!