Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help with more Cupping on tires....

Old 02-11-2010, 04:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thom1879
Are you rotating every 3-5k?
500 miles on smooth tires put on front and cupping has started again - not about rotation -
Old 02-11-2010, 04:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TEEJ
Cupping is almost always the tire bouncing rather than maintaining contact with the road.

Its almost always worn shocks, or, inadequately valved shocks for the tire/axle combo in use.

For example, the heavier the tire, the higher the compression valving that you need to help control that weight and the momentum involved.

If the shocks are in good shape, but have too low a compression setting, well, you can have cupping.

All that bouncing can wreak havoc on other parts too.

Depending on the specific cupping patterns, other things can also be wrong, but, 90 times out of 100, its the shocks.

What shocks/valving are you running?
had the Fabtech shocks and kit installed 2 years ago

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16...googlemerchant
Old 02-13-2010, 02:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed that my KM2's weren't wearing properly. For me it was simply tire pressure... In all honesty 30psi might be to high.

I chalk tested and retested about 27.5psi is where I drive with mine and they are wearing perfectly now.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:05 PM
JK Junkie

I don't believe the problem is tire pressure, 30 psi is not too much for a 4200+ lb curb weight. Look at the tire tire load information. I run mine at 35 psi in the winter with no problems.

If you have checked your tire balance, shocks and ball joints, then check your bearings. Any unbalanced, loose or faulty part that causes your tires to bounce will cause them to cup.

What is the backspacing of your wheels and are you using spacers?

BTW, this is not a general problem with KM2s.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same problems with my KM2's. I run the tires at 35psi and have a TerraFlex 3" lift with TerraFlex shocks. After rotating the cupped tire to the rear, the problem is back again and it's always the front passenger side!

Quick Reply: Help with more Cupping on tires....