Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help with mopar 2" lift - spring problem

Old 01-01-2012, 11:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would take a serious look at your bump stop. you have no upward travel. You will be hitting your bumpstops on the smallest of bumps causing an uncomfy ride. Its a good idea to look at the compressed lengths of your front shocks, and tire size. A 2" lift will probably have a 15" compressed length front shock, which means you hardly need bumpstops at all, so unless you are running large tires, you may have the wrong combination.

Originally Posted by bingote
I don't know the actual size of the bump stops, but those are supossed to be the ones that come with the mopar lift kit.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:15 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by AussieTom
i would take a serious look at your bump stop. you have no upward travel. You will be hitting your bumpstops on the smallest of bumps causing an uncomfy ride. Its a good idea to look at the compressed lengths of your front shocks, and tire size. A 2" lift will probably have a 15" compressed length front shock, which means you hardly need bumpstops at all, so unless you are running large tires, you may have the wrong combination.
Yeah, that's what i thought when i first saw them, but as they came with the kit i didn't ask, but yes it doesn't look right even for me, a newb on this matter.

Maybe i can cut the upper bumps?
I have 1" spacers front and back from teraflex... Maybe add them?
Do you (or anyone else reading this) have a pic of your lift? (if no taller than 2" of course)

Where can i find reference pics of the recommended distance between the bump stops?
Old 01-02-2012, 11:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by AussieTom
Man, this pic is from another user here, and i see on this lift from teraflex that he may not have the lower bump stop, but that upper bump stop goes reeeally low so he has so little up travel too... Does that looks incorrect to you too?
Please let me know so i can understand better how much travel is "needed" for a 2" lift

Thnx
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-333223156.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	257703  
Old 01-02-2012, 11:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

What shocks are you running. Do you know the extended and collapsed lengths? if not remove them and measure. And what tires are you running? I have a 2.5" lift (2.5" of actual lift / not advertised) and run 1.5" bumpstops. I run a MID length OME Sport shock, have flexed it up, and could get away with 1/2" bump stop. i run standard tires so only have to worry about the shocks and coil binding.

There is a bit of trial and error to work out your bump stop required length. Once you know your collapsed shock length you can flex it up until the bumpstops hit, U can even remove the foam bump pad, so you have lower bump stop hit upper bump stop at full flex, measure the length of your shock. general rule of thumb is if you have less than 1' of shock travel left, you need the appropriate sized bumpstop.

Originally Posted by bingote
Man, this pic is from another user here, and i see on this lift from teraflex that he may not have the lower bump stop, but that upper bump stop goes reeeally low so he has so little up travel too... Does that looks incorrect to you too?
Please let me know so i can understand better how much travel is "needed" for a 2" lift

Thnx

Name:	08042011(002).jpg
Views:	90
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	257724   Click image for larger version

Name:	08042011(001).jpg
Views:	88
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	257725  
Old 01-02-2012, 11:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got about a 3" lift and run the factory bumpstops along with TF lower stops and they are about 5"...

Name:	image-4183272828.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	257728   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2190833859.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	257729  
Old 01-02-2012, 02:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by KrazyK
First, are you driving though acid on a daily basis? WTF is up with the filth and corrosion on your suspension? Clean it so you can see whats going on. Remove the bumpstops. You dont need them for this lift.
Lol! Now that made me laugh!! Didn't you read that was mud from a trail the day before i took the pics? It is today that I got to power wash it.

I have been thinking that maybe this kit is "over safe" and the bump stops are not really needed that big! Dis you see the pic of the teraflex lift i posted from other forum user? Does that looks like too much bump stop too?

Quick Reply: Help with mopar 2" lift - spring problem