Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help with mopar 2" lift - spring problem

Old 12-31-2011, 09:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with mopar 2" lift - spring problem

Ok, let me try this again (app crashed after i wrote everything and was trying to attach pics)

I had my 2" mopar lift kit installed a couple weeks ago. There was rubbing between the front passenger side spring and the bump stop they install inside of it. It made a loud "dry" metal rub noise.
They "re-centered" the bump stop by correcting the drilled hole, but the bump stop still seats (at least for me) too close to the spring.
Now, on bumpy roads i have squeaks (like crickets) and i think the spring still rubs (difference from before is that it made it always on those bumps that go from side to side to slow traffic and now only squeaks on bumpy roads/off road... It doesn't happen when on road on any conditions).

Can Anyone please help here by taking a look at these pics? Anyone with a mopar lift kit can help by showing your springs and install? Any help is appreciated.
Thank you all!

I am attaching pics from both side for comparison:

First pic: Passenger side spring (wheels full turn right)
Second pic: Driver side spring (wheels full turn left)
Third and fourth pics: Frontal pic of both, passenger side first, driver side second (wheels turned to each side for each pic)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-220539392.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	256722   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1465224536.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	256724   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-463523509.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	256725   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3220550293.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	256726  
Old 12-31-2011, 09:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be a few things that are common with any lift install. Are the coils properly seated in spring perch? Did you put the factory isolaters back on and install them right? If its a budget boost, are the coils properly seated on the pucks? Try loosening the control arm bolts, etc, and bounce the front end up and down (by hand) and back and forth. A lot of times that's the cure for everything to seat right, then re-torque everything...
Old 12-31-2011, 09:48 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Battlefrog
Could be a few things that are common with any lift install. Are the coils properly seated in spring perch? Did you put the factory isolaters back on and install them right? If its a budget boost, are the coils properly seated on the pucks? Try loosening the control arm bolts, etc, and bounce the front end up and down (by hand) and back and forth. A lot of times that's the cure for everything to seat right, then re-torque everything...
It is a mopar 2" lift kit with springs and shocks. Coils look properly seated in their "perch" at least at the axle... Are there spring perch at the top?
The install was done by the dealer, so i don't know about any isolators, can you tell me or show me those so i can check?

About loosening the bolts, can you tell me exactly what bolts i can loosen whitout lifting the jeep so i can shake it and what to torque them after?

Thnx
Old 12-31-2011, 11:00 AM
JK Junkie

Loosen lower control arm bolts, trac bar bolts, sway bar links and give it a shake. The isolaters sit on top of the coils (rubber) that Protect the upper coil housing from metal on metal contact and hold the coils in place; same goes for rear.... Also, are the sway bar links rubbing on the coils?
Old 12-31-2011, 06:47 PM
JK Freak

Loosen lower control arm bolts, trac bar bolts, sway bar links and give it a shake. The isolaters sit on top of the coils (rubber) that Protect the upper coil housing from metal on metal contact and hold the coils in place; same goes for rear.... Also, are the sway bar links rubbing on the coils?
I'll check on that and look or the isolators.
No, the sway bar links are not rubbing as far as i know.

But, do the coils LOOK correct at simple view?

( i'm gonna be able to re-torque bolts next week when i return from vacation).
Old 12-31-2011, 07:13 PM
JK Junkie

The 4th pic looks bowed, but the rest don't look to bad. Some pics a bit farther away would help. It looks mostly like your bottom bump stops are at an angle which could be making the coils look bowed... I will say that they are rusted as shit though...
Old 12-31-2011, 07:32 PM
JK Freak

I will say that they are rusted as shit though...
Everything looks rusted as shit under there. Seeing that your from the DR I'd say the salt water is eating your JK.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default bump stops

What size bump stops are they. looks like you have 3' bumpstops with a 2" lift. It looks like you have next to no up travel left
Old 01-01-2012, 04:22 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by AussieTom
What size bump stops are they. looks like you have 3' bumpstops with a 2" lift. It looks like you have next to no up travel left
I don't know the actual size of the bump stops, but those are supossed to be the ones that come with the mopar lift kit.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:26 AM
JK Freak

The 4th pic looks bowed, but the rest don't look to bad. Some pics a bit farther away would help. It looks mostly like your bottom bump stops are at an angle which could be making the coils look bowed... I will say that they are rusted as shit though...
Originally Posted by hagausaf

Everything looks rusted as shit under there. Seeing that your from the DR I'd say the salt water is eating your JK.
There's no rust guys, that's just mud from a trail two days ago. I'm on vacation at a beach house, it's rainy and i like mud
Everything looks perfectly black after it's washed.

The axle bump stop looks at an angle to me too, but they look laying flat at the base.

Quick Reply: Help with mopar 2" lift - spring problem