Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

HELP: Modifications to 2012 JK

Old 03-06-2013, 11:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP: Modifications to 2012 JK

I have my beaut 2012 JK and want to upgrade. I want 35" tires and don't know what size lift to get. I've been looking and I think the minimum lift I could go is 2.5" to support the 35"s. All I need to know is what are some good manufactures of tires/lift kits and which tires/lift kits would be the best investments for me. I will for sure being doing a good amount of off roading/mudding with these upgrades, any help is appreciated.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:16 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Jmcclellan
I have my beaut 2012 JK and want to upgrade. I want 35" tires and don't know what size lift to get. I've been looking and I think the minimum lift I could go is 2.5" to support the 35"s. All I need to know is what are some good manufactures of tires/lift kits and which tires/lift kits would be the best investments for me. I will for sure being doing a good amount of off roading/mudding with these upgrades, any help is appreciated.

In my personal opinion you get what you pay for. Both my TJ and My JK have Teraflex lifts and i have no issues. I also know that rock Krawler and BDS and EVO make quality lifts.

A 2.5 BB will get you with 35s. If you plan on rock crawleing you will want more.

As far as tires everyone has thier Favorites. I like my good years. I ran Irocks on my TJ for King of The Hammers.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:15 AM
JK Newbie

I ran Falken Rocky Mtns. ATS(33") on my 2010 and loved them for daily drivings and off road. I run 35" Maxxis Bighorns on 2012. I'm in Afghanistan now so I have not driven on them yet but my wife says they are awesome. I ran 4" suspension on the 2010, and 4" suspension with 1.25" body lift on the 2012 so I don't rub when disconnected.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Welcome to the forum! If you're so inclined, you can do a thread search and read up on lift/tire recommendations until your eyes bleed.
A couple of thoughts to bear in mind:
1) you get what you pay for
2) suspension lift height = flex and ground clearance of drivetrain
3) tire height = ground clearance of drivetrain AND axles
4) the only bad tire is one you don't like
5) the bigger you go, the more expensive it gets (to do it right)

To do it correctly, running 35"s you'll want a 3.5" complete suspension lift(1600-2500), gears(1000-1500),driveshafts(900-1100),tires(2,000-2,500),aev procal(150).

Can you do it cheaper? You bet! Will you get what you pay for? You bet! If you do this process in stages, you can get the satisfaction of looking good but you'll spend the same money twice replacing inexpensive components with the correct components. Do your research, take your time and have fun.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:02 AM
Former Vendor

Jmcclellan,

A 2.5" lift is the perfect size to run 35's. You really can't go wrong with Rock Krawler, and Teraflex. They both make a solid kit and you will be more than happy with the results. The installs are cake and the instructions for both kits are very clear.

If you are going to be doing a fair amount of off-roading, then you want to go with a kit that has adjustable control arms and sway bar disconnects. The control arms will make it a breeze to align and make your on road driving more pleasurable as well as making it perform better off-road. The sway bar discos will give you more flex on the trail and allow you to have them off in a matter of seconds.

The shocks you choose are just as important as the lift itself. Think of the lift as the muscle and the shocks as the brain of your suspension system. So choosing a good shock to compliment a suspension is key. There are literally hundreds of different shock brands out there and since you are going to be doing a lot of off road and on road driving an adjustable shock like the Pro-Comp MX6 would be an awesome choice for your Jeep.

If you have any questions about shock choices or what kit would be best for you, hit me up with a PM and I can point you in the right direction.

-Zach
Old 03-07-2013, 08:23 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

We sell them all. it really depends on your budget!
Old 03-07-2013, 08:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

You'll find many opinions on this forum. My opinion for a lift not to overlook would be a Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel... I've read a lot of positive posts on that lift.. On the higher end check out a Metalcloak.

Quick Reply: HELP: Modifications to 2012 JK