Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help! Mirror relocation

Old 03-25-2011, 08:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Mirror relocation

Can someone please help me, I can't remove my mirrors from the factory brackets. I bought the warrior relocation brackets and the instructions say I'm supposed to remove the bolt halfway and then tap on the bolt until the mirror pops out.. I've tapped for 10 minutes and nothing happens... And I've tapped pretty hard.. What should I do?
Old 03-25-2011, 08:28 AM
JK Super Freak

If you do a search youll find a lot of threads talking about it, theyre a pain in the ass to get out.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...sing-something
Old 03-25-2011, 08:32 AM
JK Freak

I had the same problem, and finally put a pair of water pumps pliers on the bottom of the mirror assembly and hit in an upward direction as hard as I could, and it still took me over twenty minutes to get it to come off. The drivers side came off with no effort at all.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rsrekais
Can someone please help me, I can't remove my mirrors from the factory brackets. I bought the warrior relocation brackets and the instructions say I'm supposed to remove the bolt halfway and then tap on the bolt until the mirror pops out.. I've tapped for 10 minutes and nothing happens... And I've tapped pretty hard.. What should I do?
Here is what I would do. 1st, get it off the Jeep. So no way to damage anything else. The mirror will come off of the door easily. Put it in a vice or remount it to something. Then have fun beatting the crap out of it.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:49 AM
JK Newbie

I actually just did this today with the Rugged Ridge brackets. My stock mirrors were incredibly tough to remove, a real pain in the ass. They were pretty corroded, it's an 08. I did the same procedure as you, it worked on the drivers side. It didn't work on the passenger side but I just used a nut and bolt and held it flush with the bottom of the mirror (where the head of the torx bolt was before removal). After a couple hard whacks, it finally came flying out. Good luck, try not to strip the threads.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had such a hell of a time with the driver's side that I never bothered with the passenger side. Since it's not a law to have that mirror in place here in New Mexico, not sure about other states, I never bothered. Still have the bracket just in case laws change. I have to give the mirror the UFC style high knee to the underside of the mirror and it popped off. Almost hit me in the nose like a gear shift knob removal.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome! I'm glad I'm not the only one! I felt like a complete idiot when it took me over an hour to relocate my mirrors. The driver's side came off just fine but the passenger side was really corroded and wouldn't budge. I ended up cutting the plastic off the stock door mount with snips then beat the hell out of it with a hammer until the mirror popped lose from the bracket. Installing them was a whole other mess... but, they're on and I'm happy with them, now.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I installed my Rugged Ridge mounts I struggled too. Here is the problem. Inside the plastic is a cast aluminum or magnesium fitting that the mirror head actually secures to. The union of the two pieces has corroded over time and it is stuck. I sprayed penetrating lubricant into the top of the socket between the mirror head unit and the mirror base unit (See attached picture). I let is sit for about a half-hour, and VOILA! It popped right out!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mirror.jpg
Views:	1184
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	141672

Good luck!

Dang! Looks like your cut and pound process beat my post.

Last edited by Hook-Em; 03-25-2011 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Oops! Didn't get response in time.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:32 PM
JK Newbie

OK, I was having ing the same problems as everyone else it seems. So after trying to seperate the mirror from the mounting bracket as has been described through the liberal use of force via hammer and lube I broke the inner mounts of the mirror. Might I just suggest that the easiest thing to do would be to buy a new mirror and go from there.

I am currently shopping for OEM replacements. To avoid problems I will be shopping for new ones. Good luck to anyone else who trys this.

I guess it is possible that due to salt and road grime my mirrors may be more corrodided than some others, but I have to say jeep missed the mark. First the mirrors should have been mounted off the doors anyway so this isnt an issue, second they should have at least used some different materials to prevent the corssive bonding.

OK, now that I have vented. Time to shop.

Quick Reply: Help! Mirror relocation