Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help me upgrade smartly

Old 01-09-2011, 07:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade help

Need some suggestions (mostly used for DDing, but like to run through the woods to)

I have been reading many posts and just want to go about my upgrades the right way . . . (2008 Rub, Auto, 2Dr)

Upgrading gears to 5.38 for 37" BFG TA KM2 (Already installed RC 3.25 Susp lift)

Ungrading front and rear track bars (either JK or TF) not sure yet . . . any suggestions?

Ugrading drag link? Don't know which one . . . TeraFlex Trackbar Frame Brace & Drag Link Flip Kit . . . ist this too much for my set up?

Do I need to upgrade the upper/lower front/rear control arms?

Then there is the drive shaft?

Thanks for the advice?

Last edited by RedBeast; 01-10-2011 at 04:06 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:39 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RedBeast
Upgrading gears to 5.38 for 37" BFG TA KM2 (Already installed RC 3.25 Susp lift)
this is a good ratio for 37's and for what you will be using your jeep for.

Ungrading front and rear track bars (either JK or TF) not sure yet . . . any suggestions?
both are great choices - i have run both and you can't go wrong with either. if it matters to you, the JKS is made in the USA

Ugrading drag link? Don't know which one . . . TeraFlex Trackbar Frame Brace & Drag Link Flip Kit . . . ist this too much for my set up?
with the amount of lift you have, it's not necessary to do this. unless you are feeling like the handling of your jeep is off, i might wait on this upgrade. of course, if you've got the money, it wouldn't hurt to add.

Do I need to upgrade the upper/lower front/rear control arms?

Then there is the drive shaft?
being that you have a 2-door and an auto, yes, you will need to replace your rear shaft as with the amount of lift you have, the operating angles on your factory unit is too steep and will fail sooner than later. up front, if you do any wheeling at all, you will tear off the boot as the shaft catches on the tranny pan. having said that, you will need to get rear adjustable uppers as they will allow you to set your pinion angle which is necessary when installing a new u-joint style shaft. up front, an adjustable set of upper arms will allow you to add a bit more positive caster (if needed) and that will help with how your jeep drives on the highway.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:06 AM
JK Newbie

Is the drag link only effected by the RC 3.25" lift or do the tires add to requiring an upgrade? I am adding 37" tires and was thinking it might be necessary for added stability/.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:15 AM
JK-Forum Founder

you only really need to address your track bar/drag link when lifting your jeep about 4" or more. at this height, the angles on them will be quite steep and this will effect the way your jeep handles. optimally, you want to keep your track bar/drag link parallel to each other and as close to parallel with your axle as possible. tires have no bearing as to whether or not you would need to address your steering components.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:40 AM
JK Newbie

Excellent, thanks!!

So I shouldn't worry about getting adjustable front and rear trackbars or the drag link. . . yet? The stock parts should be adequate?

Once I do the regearing and add the tires what should be the area(s) I should upgrade structurally to prevent failure? Are there certain areas that become more stressed and therfore vulnerable?

Are most of these beefy upgardes for serious off road adventures? I will not run my jeep through deep mud but I will climb some hills and rocks . . . I just don't want to snap something if I could have prevented it . . .
Old 01-10-2011, 06:47 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by RedBeast
So I shouldn't worry about getting adjustable front and rear trackbars or the drag link. . . yet? The stock parts should be adequate?
whoa, hang on, never said that - just that you wouldn't need to install a front track bar relocation bracket and drag link flip. you will still need an adjustable track bar front and rear as failure to install them would result in your axles being off center.

Once I do the regearing and add the tires what should be the area(s) I should upgrade structurally to prevent failure? Are there certain areas that become more stressed and therfore vulnerable?
yup, please refer back to my original response

Are most of these beefy upgardes for serious off road adventures? I will not run my jeep through deep mud but I will climb some hills and rocks . . . I just don't want to snap something if I could have prevented it . . .
nope. just about all the recommended suspension upgrades you will want to make on your jeep are intended to help dial in your ride for ON ROAD performance. the rear drive shaft will need to be replaced as with the amount of lift you have, the oem shaft will go bad.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:59 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks again. Sorry, didn't mean to misinterpret.

There are a lot of hings to consider when modding a jeep and unfortunately there is not hand book that says, step 1 . . . step 2 . . . (is there )?

I just want to do it smartly and safely without destroying anything.

I will keep reading the posts and thanks for all your help!!

Quick Reply: Help me upgrade smartly