Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help me understand gear sets

Old 01-31-2012 | 10:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Help me understand gear sets

When people get 4.88's or 5.13's, is that a single gear in the rear end, or is that an entire gear set in the transmission?
Old 01-31-2012 | 10:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Thats the gears in the front and rear axle. You WILL have to change both front and rear gears at the same time. You could also just gear the rear and NOT enguage the 4wd then get the front geared or vise versa.
Old 01-31-2012 | 10:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

So since I have the 4 speed auto, each gear 1 - 4 is multiplied just that much more over 4.10 going with 4.88 or 5.13?
Old 01-31-2012 | 10:21 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Fiveofun
So since I have the 4 speed auto, each gear 1 - 4 is multiplied just that much more over 4.10 going with 4.88 or 5.13?
Yes. That's how it works.
Old 02-03-2012 | 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would also suggest that if you do only the rear to go ahead and just pop the front drive shaft off too instead of soley leaving it just in two wheel drive (anybody correct me if I'm wrong please) but I'm pretty sure that if you leave the front drive shaft on and your running two different gear ratios between the front and the rear both are going to be rotating at a different ratio and speed and both being connected to the T-case will cause issues. Just my 2 cents and what I thought but dont take my word without further research I am far from an expert on drive train.
Old 02-03-2012 | 10:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by LBJEEPER
I would also suggest that if you do only the rear to go ahead and just pop the front drive shaft off too instead of soley leaving it just in two wheel drive (anybody correct me if I'm wrong please) but I'm pretty sure that if you leave the front drive shaft on and your running two different gear ratios between the front and the rear both are going to be rotating at a different ratio and speed and both being connected to the T-case will cause issues. Just my 2 cents and what I thought but dont take my word without further research I am far from an expert on drive train.
True. This could cause binding somewhere in the driveline. My front shaft is off cause my front is 3.73 and my rear is 5.13.

Quick Reply: Help me understand gear sets