Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

help me make my jk comfortable

Old 02-25-2011, 01:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

straight from the FAQS:

Q: What is Caster? How much do I need?
A: Caster is the angle upon which your front axle sits at in order to help keep your Jeep driving straight. Positive caster, which is what you want, will cause your axle to sit in a way that your pinion shaft will be dipping ever so slightly towards the ground. Too little or even negative caster angle can cause your Jeep to wander and feel 'flighty' or 'darty' as I've heard some people call it. From the factory, your JK will have +4.2° of caster and if you lift it and install larger tires, you will need to increase this amount to help compensate for the modifications. At 3"-4" of lift, I have found that +6°~8° of caster will do wonders to help improve the handling of your Jeep JK Wrangler.

Just something to look at, I know my caster was low with my lift and tires( Like 2 degrees) and adjustable front lower control arms did wonders for me on the road.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jtjk
i have come to understand that the ride in my jk is not going to be like that of a bmw and that the interior is a little hard - but i can deal with this as i really love my jk, when it comes to others this is not the case. my friends avoid trips in my jeep like the plague.
hell i make some good offers -"come to moab with me" and the response is always ..."thats a long way to go in the jeep".
so i have taken it upon myself to make my jeep comfortable ...but still capable.

what are some things i can do to make the jk a little more daily driver friendly?
i have already aired down my tires a little and am debating new shocks.
I have a Jk and a BMW. I added ome nitros to my 4 inch and rides better than my BMW. Well I tend to think it does now! :-). Also, set psi to 28 and caster to 5.5-6 ( play around with it) and Walla!!!!!! I had had the same issue
Old 02-25-2011, 02:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Try the back seat angle mod. It makes it a lot more comfotable when its not straight up.

If its too noisy put some dynomat on the inner fenders and put in a roof insulation kit.

Rancho 9000s are a cheep adjustable shock. I just put a set on my jeep and WOW what a diference it made to the ride quality.

If that is too $$ the fold down the back seat and put in a air mattress for them to sleep on
Old 02-25-2011, 09:05 AM
JK Super Freak

so would you guys recomend the mx 6 shocks or the rancho 9000
Old 02-25-2011, 09:09 AM
JK Super Freak

also what is likely to give me the largest improvement the controle arms or the adjustable shocks?

what is a good brand for the arms - should i just stick with tera flex or are there cheaper just as good options
Old 02-25-2011, 09:10 AM
JK Super Freak

so would you guys recomend the mx 6 shocks or the rancho 9000
I heard good things about rancho. Had old school rancho on my Tj. I assume the 9k are pretty good.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was just suggesting the MX-6's because they are an inexepensive adjustable. The ranchos are also an inexpensive adjustable. Both would be great for you. Talk to Northridge, or another retailer and see which one they can give you a better deal on. Both those shocks can be purchased for under $80 each if you shop around. I was quoted $82 by a retailer.

Be sure to tell them your current lift height so they get you the correct lengths.

Both the 9000XL and the MX-6 retail for right at $100 each.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers
I was just suggesting the MX-6's because they are an inexepensive adjustable. The ranchos are also an inexpensive adjustable. Both would be great for you. Talk to Northridge, or another retailer and see which one they can give you a better deal on. Both those shocks can be purchased for under $80 each if you shop around. I was quoted $82 by a retailer.

Be sure to tell them your current lift height so they get you the correct lengths.

Both the 9000XL and the MX-6 retail for right at $100 each.

what would you say is going to yield better results doing the shocks or the controle arms first
Old 02-25-2011, 09:18 AM
JK Super Freak

also what is likely to give me the largest improvement the controle arms or the adjustable shocks?

what is a good brand for the arms - should i just stick with tera flex or are there cheaper just as good options
Both will impact driving. Shocks will take care of the bumps along with springs. Control arms will take care of your caster so control the "flighty feel" as they say. I have had teraflex and RC and both ate good. Never had RC arms but they make adjustable arms now and are cheaper. There are threads about reviews on the RC arms. Check those out as they are fairly new, less expensive and adjustable. I say they would be good but dont have experience with their arms. Teraflex makes great arms but cost more.

If cost is an issue get the RC front lowers and set caster. Get the rancho shocks although I havent tried either so just going off ppls opinions here.

I agree on the above post . Call northridge and ask him what he thinks too.

Last edited by SilverJK12; 02-25-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:20 AM
JK Super Freak

what would you say is going to yield better results doing the shocks or the controle arms first
What size lift will you be running. That's the main thing here???

Quick Reply: help me make my jk comfortable