Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

help me make my jk comfortable

Old 02-24-2011, 10:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me make my jk comfortable

i have come to understand that the ride in my jk is not going to be like that of a bmw and that the interior is a little hard - but i can deal with this as i really love my jk, when it comes to others this is not the case. my friends avoid trips in my jeep like the plague.
hell i make some good offers -"come to moab with me" and the response is always ..."thats a long way to go in the jeep".
so i have taken it upon myself to make my jeep comfortable ...but still capable.

what are some things i can do to make the jk a little more daily driver friendly?
i have already aired down my tires a little and am debating new shocks.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:08 PM
JK Freak

Get some nitrocharger or bilstein 5100 shocks.

I have 4 bilsteins on the way with my lift kit, will report back

If i were you though, i would get new friends
Old 02-24-2011, 10:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Buy a range rover! Your friends are Sally's, jeeps are not that uncomfortable....

Tell them to bring a pillow
Old 02-24-2011, 10:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jtjk
i have come to understand that the ride in my jk is not going to be like that of a bmw and that the interior is a little hard - but i can deal with this as i really love my jk, when it comes to others this is not the case. my friends avoid trips in my jeep like the plague.
hell i make some good offers -"come to moab with me" and the response is always ..."thats a long way to go in the jeep".
so i have taken it upon myself to make my jeep comfortable ...but still capable.

what are some things i can do to make the jk a little more daily driver friendly?
i have already aired down my tires a little and am debating new shocks.
What is your caster at?? Your lifted on 35's with the same lift as me, and I needed adjustable lower control arms to increase my caster. That will make steering less flighty, and make the front end feel might tighter and less loose. Mine is 4.5 degrees and it rides pretty good. Shocks will help, did you just get shock extensions with your lift?? if so, check out OME and Bilsteins shocks.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get some adjustable shocks. Soft ride with friends on long trips and firm for when you load up. Just dial a knob a few clicks and your problem is solved!

Next up is making the seats more comfortable. The headrests (at least in my 08) are ROCK HARD. I got some padded neoprene covers for them.

Then, I got an I-pod interface to play my son's music. Makes him more interested in longer trips.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:15 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Jeep(NV)
Buy a range rover! Your friends are Sally's, jeeps are not that uncomfortable....

Tell them to bring a pillow

HA! That was my original response!
Old 02-24-2011, 10:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers
Get some adjustable shocks. Soft ride with friends on long trips and firm for when you load up. Just dial a knob a few clicks and your problem is solved!

Next up is making the seats more comfortable. The headrests (at least in my 08) are ROCK HARD. I got some padded neoprene covers for them.

Then, I got an I-pod interface to play my son's music. Makes him more interested in longer trips.
Adjustable shocks? That dont sound cheap lol.

I got bluetooth, don't need an interface

Also, as he stated in his other post he has shock adapters... i would get new shocks before anything.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:29 PM
JK Junkie

MX-6 adjustable shocks - under $80 each. Sure, they are more expensive than basic shocks, but they are close to most bilstiens.

I've run the 5100's and they are a great shock. But, did you request specific valving when you ordered them? That's right, they come in different valving based on soft top, or hard top and a rack. Be sure to get the right ones you'll ever need. Or, adjustable shocks that can do all that in one set when you change or add things over time. Suddenly, $20 more a shock isn't looking too expensive.

In my case my Bilstiens worked great. Then I outboarded my rear shocks. The bilstiens were too soft in the new set up and had to be replaced. Plan ahead. Save money in the long haul and make your friends feel happy - oh, and important when you have them get under your jeep and adjust them!

Say does the I-pod sinc with your bluetooth nav system? If so, how does it work? I have an 08 and they aren't real friendly towards Apple products...

Last edited by BKGM Jeepers; 02-24-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Nitro Shocks might not be the way to go you'll fell every bump in the road.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:49 PM
JK Super Freak

what is the caster? is i get the adjustable shocks would i still want to change that. also i went with shock adapters as i have the rubi shocks - the suggested adjustable shocks will still be better right?

i was reading in another thread i created that having different shocks could lead to me needing to change drive shafts and brake lines because of the extra drop - am i understanding this correctly ?

sort of want to keep cost down

thanks for all the responses

Quick Reply: help me make my jk comfortable