Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help me form the other side of the pound suspension issues

Old 02-09-2016, 05:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me form the other side of the pound suspension issues

Hello all I'm in the uk I have currently fitted OME 4" lift springs the front springs are bowing outwards towards the wheels the axel has been centred correctly I used rough country geometry drop brackets could the bowing springs be caused from the geometry brackets not giving correct castor? I appreciate any help with regards to this as in the UK Jeeps are not common it's all

Cheers

Jase
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	637086   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	637087  
Old 02-09-2016, 06:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, that's funky do have the coils indexed correctly on bottom perch ? And are you using the stock rubber isolator on top of coil in bucket
Old 02-09-2016, 06:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rebar-7
Hmm, that's funky do have the coils indexed correctly on bottom perch ? And are you using the stock rubber isolator on top of coil in bucket
Yes I have the bottom of the coil pigtails located in the axle correctly

Yes i have the stock rubber isolators

thanks

jase
Old 02-09-2016, 06:55 AM
JK Freak

Well if everything is setup right, axle centered I'd double check part numbers for springs make sure there the correct ones. I don't think the geo brackets
Would cause that issue as far as side to side.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The axle looks off-center in your second photo. All of your suspension components should be loose, then give the vehicle a good bounce or three, then snug up your suspension.

The off-center would cause the spring to lean sideways like that. Tightening components before putting the proper weight on them could lead to a condition where things are in a bind when you finally apply the load.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:01 PM
JK Freak

Well the OP stated the axle was and is centered, but I have to agree with you Karls10. Really looking at pic's the driver side
Looks like it's pulled over to pass side, thus the huge bow in pass side spring. Hmm...
Old 02-09-2016, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebar-7
Well the OP stated the axle was and is centered, but I have to agree with you Karls10. Really looking at pic's the driver side
Looks like it's pulled over to pass side, thus the huge bow in pass side spring. Hmm...
If the axle is to the drivers side then how would both coils bow out towards the wheels, would they not bow in the same direction.

Looking at both pictures to me it looks like the coils are not sitting in the correct position. I just went out and verified on my JK and there is a slot for bottom of the springs and on the OP the bitter end of the spring is not seated in the back but up front.

What motor are you do you have? Did you account for the extra weight when ordering the coils? Looking on the Old Man Emu site they specifically asked for different motors and bumpers. I think that may play a factor.

R/
Will
Old 02-11-2016, 01:00 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Canvas
If the axle is to the drivers side then how would both coils bow out towards the wheels, would they not bow in the same direction.

Looking at both pictures to me it looks like the coils are not sitting in the correct position. I just went out and verified on my JK and there is a slot for bottom of the springs and on the OP the bitter end of the spring is not seated in the back but up front.

What motor are you do you have? Did you account for the extra weight when ordering the coils? Looking on the Old Man Emu site they specifically asked for different motors and bumpers. I think that may play a factor.

R/
Will
thanks for your reply do you mean that the one pigtail should not locate op to the one that is? Because on mine the one slot is on the back and on the drivers side the front?
Old 02-11-2016, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by Jase_jk99
thanks for your reply do you mean that the one pigtail should not locate op to the one that is? Because on mine the one slot is on the back and on the drivers side the front?
Yours are in the correct indexing points. There is something else going on.

As mentioned, have you checked the part numbers on your coils to ensure they're the correct ones for your build?
Old 02-11-2016, 01:28 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

could the bowing springs be caused from the geometry brackets not giving correct castor?
How much actual lift height did you get? What is the caster? Adjusting the caster (tilting the pinion up or down) rotates the spring perch front to back. So to me, the coil should(?) bow the same directions, not to the sides? But just from the pics, the perches don't look to be at funky angles.

Where did you measure from to decide the axle is centered?

When you installed, did you use coil compressors? Were the arms/trackbars/links/etc loosened or disconnected? Wondering if it would help to loosen it all, disconnect the shocks, and drop the axle to let the coils fully extend.

Quick Reply: Help me form the other side of the pound suspension issues