Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Which do you think looks best?
Factory Trimmed Rubicon Slider
66.67%
SRC Side Armor
33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Help me decide - Rubicon Rock Sider or SRC Step Slider

Old 04-12-2017, 01:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me decide - Rubicon Rock Sider or SRC Step Slider

Hey guys, I have been siting on some side armor step bars for a while... I was bored today and decided to put them on and see what I thought... Can you folks help? I know its like asking what your favorite color is... but I was hoping it may help me decide... Please keep the quality comments to yourself... Im just looking for some fellow Jeeper thoughts... not your parts suck
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.JPG
Views:	383
Size:	4.69 MB
ID:	670222Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	4.78 MB
ID:	670223
Old 04-12-2017, 02:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nice looking jeep. I like the second picture best. I like having the option of a step rock rail.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:53 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you! I put both of the step rails on... going to drive it and see if they grow on me
Old 04-13-2017, 04:55 AM
JK Newbie

I am getting used to the step... but I keep looking back at the Rubicon slider... tough call...
Old 04-13-2017, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

This is really a tough call to give advice on. What is your end result you want? If it is playing on the rocks I would strongly recommend going with a frame mounted slider as it will take the stress off the pinch seam below the rocker panel.

Mopar's Rubicon Rock Rail protects the pinch seam and give some protection, however if you come down hard on a rock there is the possibility of causing some body damage. The positive with the Rock Rail is the equal distribution along the pinch seam.

SRC side step/rail is mounted to the pinch seam and has the lower bar that can catch rocks or possibly coming down hard on a rock cause body damage. the negative with the SRC is they do not proved the equal distribution along the pinch seam.

If you do not play on playing on the rocks either will be fine. If you are looking for the step feature may I suggest going to your local Tack Store and picking up a saddle stirrup and securing it to the seat. My buddy did this for his vertically challenged wife and works out great.

R/
Will
Old 04-13-2017, 05:29 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,692 Posts

If you wheel at all, I wouldn't suggest the SRC rails. I don't mind how they look at all, and they do provide a nice wide step, but create clearance issues when wheelin, and they get big dents in them easily. For wheelin purposes the rubi rail would be better. You could always weld some tube on the side for some sort of step/leverage. If you don't wheel and are concerned just about looks, the SRC isn't a terrible product at the price point. I had the ones you have pictured above. They don't mount to the pinch seam.....I think Will might be thinking of a different model.

Last edited by resharp001; 04-13-2017 at 05:37 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:35 AM
JK Newbie

Haha, love the stirrup idea. This is nearly a daily driver... I'm trying to put decent parts on it do if I do decide to take it off road it will have a starting chance, or if I trade it off it may appeal to others... right now it gets me to work, and my kids go school... plus if the weather sucks I can pull people out of a mess or myself even. I know lots of people don't care for Starwood in TX but I love that JK they built "full metal jacket" so I make some changes to kind of look like that as I go. I do have the SRC side armor on now and I like the looks of the powder coat since it matches the genders and body armor... the Ruby sliders are bed lined, so not the same. I know it's tough asking someone to help a stranger decide... but I'm in the fence and just looking for info to help me decide is all.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:07 AM
JK Newbie

True resharp, they mount to the body mounts off the frame. I have heard both sides of that story... if you drop hard on a rock the Ruby slider could damage the pinch weld seam along the bottom. If you drop hard on a rock the SRC step could flex in the middle and dent the rocker/pinch weld area on the bottom... if I were hitting rocks I would opt for something that had more attachment points to the body mounts or something welded on??? But I don't think we even have rocks near me? And I'm doing more highway driving than anything else these days... I just added Ripps Suoer Charger about a month ago... man did that make a difference for me... I needed better performance at the 70-85 mph range... anyway thank you for that info... still thinking. It's nice if you folks to offer advice and your own opinions.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Can you fit the SRC on with the rubi rails? I picked up a set off Craigslist for cheap and put them on with my ACE sliders. I love the way they finish off the pinch seam and feel that the combination will provide a great deal of protection.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:13 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,692 Posts

I have a rubi rail that has tube welded to it for a step. I can't imagine having any kind of step at all....especially for wife and kids. That is probably what would make me lean to the SRC in your situation.

Quick Reply: Help me decide - Rubicon Rock Sider or SRC Step Slider