Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Which 2.5 (ish) lift?
OME Long Travel Kit from Northridge
13.33%
MetalCloak Dual Rate 2.5 kit with OME shocks
60.00%
Rock Krawler Max Travel Kit with OME shocks separate
26.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Help me decide which 2.5 lift - RK, OME or MC

Old 07-11-2014, 12:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nevermind just saw in your sig. For a 35 I wouldnt run more lift than you have to. Keep in mind some manufacturer's coils net you a lot more lift than advertised so definately factor that in when making your decsion. I have no experience running any of the above coils you mentioned but the two different coils I have run have netted me less than 2.5 (rough country) and right at 2.5 (teraflex 3 in the front 2 in the rear). The TF and flats was the perfect combo for me when I had 35s and kept my steering and driveline angles friendly. I still run the same lift today with 37s and a 1.25 inch body lift. Im a lcog guy but not everyone feels the same way. Point is due your research on the amount of lift the above coils will give you based on the weight of your jeep and go from there. Obviously every coil is better under different scenarios (rockcrawling, mud, overland etc.. good luck
Old 07-11-2014, 12:29 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hahaha, this has been a useful thread. A few value-adding insights:

I've run both the MC and OME. Forget the OME. The MC rides better, the kit is more complete, and you can upgrade parts later if you choose. I can't comment on RK as I have not run it. What I like about MC over RK is that the kit was designed to work together (referring to the shocks). Given the number of threads about "which shocks should I buy for my RK lift..." it just makes life easier. Plus, we all know that the MC with ARB shocks rides like a cloud. Reviews on Bilstein and Fox ride quality are largely biased and there are a ton of varibles there.

Items you will need regardless of the kit (some may include this in the kit):

1. extended rear brake lines (the front are fine, you just need to remove them from the metal bracket)

2. Longer sway bar links. Whoever made the comment about not needing them because you can just hit a button, is providing dangerous information. On a long-travel set-up, it would be easy to fully extend the stock links while driving around and you could very easily rotate the sway bar forward and cause serious carnage.

3. New driveshaft or move your exhaust (for 2012 or newer). Just have your muffler shop move the exhaust and you are good to go.

4. Front adjustable control arms. Skip the rock hungry geo brackets and spend the couple extra dollars up front and be done.

Feel free to join the AEV love-fest if you want to over-pay for a set of shocks and coils with limited travel. Which by the way, actually doesn't ride better than stock, or maybe slightly. Best example of confirmation bias you will ever see. And seriously, sway bar link extension brackets?! Nice...
Old 07-11-2014, 04:32 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

I would have to go with choice #1 as it is the most complete. I would also add a raised rear axle track bar bracket.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:47 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I would have to go with choice #1 as it is the most complete. I would also add a raised rear axle track bar bracket.
I don't know I quite agree. For $100 less, the MC kit comes with everything, including a rear track bar bracket (coils, shocks, adjustable bump stops, sway bar links, brake lines, TB bracket, track bar, front upper CAs). Add a TB bracket to the OME lift and you're $200 from the full MC kit (all 8 CAs).
Old 07-11-2014, 07:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Monte417

What size tires are you looking to run
35x12.5x17
Old 07-11-2014, 07:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks all. Gonna wait to decide until early next week. Keep the feedback coming...
Old 07-11-2014, 08:19 PM
JK Freak

I love my MC lift. Don't think you could go wrong with any of these 3 lifts though. I personally think the OME or MC would ride better than the RK
Old 07-11-2014, 08:24 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
I don't know I quite agree. For $100 less, the MC kit comes with everything, including a rear track bar bracket (coils, shocks, adjustable bump stops, sway bar links, brake lines, TB bracket, track bar, front upper CAs). Add a TB bracket to the OME lift and you're $200 from the full MC kit (all 8 CAs).
I guess I am looking at the wrong kit because the 2.5 dual rate kits has no track bars or track bar bracket and is $959
Old 07-12-2014, 02:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Greg! I am running the 2.5 RK coils which they recently revamped with the new triple rates. ride great, way nicer than my old TF coils. Flex is much improved as well. Of those choices id go MC or RK, both good companies that stand behind their stuff. Grats on the new jeep!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2014, 03:45 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I guess I am looking at the wrong kit because the 2.5 dual rate kits has no track bars or track bar bracket and is $959
I believe the OP was referring to the dual rate ARB edition (dual rate with OME shocks), which is $1599. http://www.metalcloak.com/JK-Jeep-Du...ion-p/7117.htm

Quick Reply: Help me decide which 2.5 lift - RK, OME or MC