Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help me with covering up hail damage on my hood...louver kit?

Old 06-25-2012, 08:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help me with covering up hail damage on my hood...louver kit?

So I got some hail damage on my hood and after the deductible, there is not a whole lot but a couple hundred bucks.

Now the insurance company recommended paintless dent repair. I had PDR done on a door and it came out fantastic, but the insurance estimate was over 700 to get it done. My door ding cost me 85 bucks, so the dozen tiny dents may end up costing that much.

Here are the alternatives I'm looking at:

1. Pull the hood and see how cheap I can get the PDR done if I do the prep work myself.

2. Cover it up with some Louvers. I'd hide most of the dings and get some heat reduction as well. It was 105 degrees here yesterday

2.a I'm looking at Poison Spyder hood louvers because they cover the most area. I really wouldn't want so much black covering my hood, so I'd paint it the stock color. I think that would be subtle and functional. It's a big footprint on the hood though.
Jeep JK Exterior Upgrades | JK Hood Louver | Poison Spyder Customs

3. Final option is to just run with it...it's a Jeep right?

Last edited by Absolute; 07-21-2012 at 10:54 PM. Reason: blacklisted mfg
Old 06-25-2012, 09:01 AM
jdk
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been looking at hood louvers a while myself, and the best I have found so far are the ones from Poision Spyder.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:02 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jdk
I have been looking at hood louvers a while myself, and the best I have found so far are the ones from Poision Spyder.
Did you see anything else similar, but that I might not have mentioned. I like the PS version because it looks easy to line up straight, but It's almost too much coverage if you follow me.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:01 PM
JK Newbie

105? Have you tried just leaving it in the sun for a few hours and then rubbing the dent with an ice cubes? The sudden temperature change can sometimes make small dents pop out... Depends on how bad the dent is to begin with.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:11 PM
JK Freak

I think that would work for shallow dents, but not these. I think I'd still have most of them.

The wife is not a fan of the louvers though. Maybe that would keep her out my Jeep when I'm not driving it.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by demtek9
I think that would work for shallow dents, but not these. I think I'd still have most of them.

The wife is not a fan of the louvers though. Maybe that would keep her out my Jeep when I'm not driving it.
No matter what I do I can't keep my wife out of my Jeep!!!
Old 06-26-2012, 05:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Honestly a dent doctor won't charge as much as you think to repair it. Many of them are used to fixing entire lots of hail damaged vehicles
Old 06-26-2012, 05:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Honestly a dent doctor won't charge as much as you think to repair it. Many of them are used to fixing entire lots of hail damaged vehicles
Yeah, I think if I do the prep work, then it may cost me less. I saw a video on youtube on how they do it and the guy stated that taking off taillights and stuff that hinders access for them brings down the cost.