Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help me choose springs...

Old 10-05-2012, 06:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me choose springs...

Hey guys! I've been all over the Internet and used the search function here looking for information about 4" lift springs.

My mod journey started with a superlift 4" in 2008 with 35s. I was never happy with the ride. It was unbearably stiff from day 1. After wearing out the shocks I've replaced the budget shocks with jk tuned fox units. The ride is WAY better but I think there's room for improvement.

I like the sound of the EVO plush ride units but I've been unable to find anyone with real world experience with them so my question is this...

Which 4" lift spring should I buy if I want a cushy ride?
Old 10-05-2012, 07:10 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Fella
Hey guys! I've been all over the Internet and used the search function here looking for information about 4" lift springs.

My mod journey started with a superlift 4" in 2008 with 35s. I was never happy with the ride. It was unbearably stiff from day 1. After wearing out the shocks I've replaced the budget shocks with jk tuned fox units. The ride is WAY better but I think there's room for improvement.

I like the sound of the EVO plush ride units but I've been unable to find anyone with real world experience with them so my question is this...

You can run a 2.5" or 3" TeraFlex coil with 35's. It's good that your running a nicer shock now, that will help out.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:14 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TeraFlex

You can run a 2.5" or 3" TeraFlex coil with 35's. It's good that your running a nicer shock now, that will help out.
Thanks for the info! I am already running a 4" (brackets, control arms etc) so I'm looking for a direct replacement spring.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:17 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info! I am already running a 4" (brackets, control arms etc) so I'm looking for a direct replacement spring.
Keep in mind that one companies 2.5" is another 4". So if you ran a TeraFlex 4" coil, you would have room for 37's. So I would suggest a TeraFlex 3" coil for your setup.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:17 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I've run a lot of different springs and in the 4" lift height including OME, TF, FT, RC and can tell you that none of them can compare to the comfort that EVO plush ride coils provide. There is a down side to them though and that's if you load up your Jeep with a ton of gear, they will sag. When I was running them, I helped compensate for it by running a set of 1" coil spacers.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:25 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TeraFlex

Keep in mind that one companies 2.5" is another 4". So if you ran a TeraFlex 4" coil, you would have room for 37's. So I would suggest a TeraFlex 3" coil for your setup.
Thanks again! I know I have room for 37s now. They're in the works after future after axle mods. I'm also running bushwhacker flatties.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1570340562.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	374457  
Old 10-05-2012, 07:29 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife

I've run a lot of different springs and in the 4" lift height including OME, TF, FT, RC and can tell you that none of them can compare to the comfort that EVO plush ride coils provide. There is a down side to them though and that's if you load up your Jeep with a ton of gear, they will sag. When I was running them, I helped compensate for it by running a set of 1" coil spacers.
Thanks.

I'm leaning toward the plush ride 4". Now when you say sag... You mean a little or on the bump stops?

Trending Topics

Old 10-05-2012, 08:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was very happy w/ my aev coils, before going to coilovers. I was running their 3.5s
Old 10-05-2012, 08:18 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks.

I'm leaning toward the plush ride 4". Now when you say sag... You mean a little or on the bump stops?
depends on how much weight you load up your jeep with. for me, i carry a ton of gear and saw about a 1" drop in lift height. signifcant but, correctable and without sacrificing ride quality. if you carry a ton of gear, a more firm coil like what TF or OME makes will help prevent this but, you'll also feel the difference especially when unloaded.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wayoflife

WOL- I have an SJ kit and actually like it but am annoyed with how rough the ride is on trails... but i love the highway manners. Would swapping out my coils, or the cheapo Nitro shocks make more diffrence? I figure shocks, and that gives more spring options later...

Quick Reply: Help me choose springs...