Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help me choose some shocks...

Old 06-28-2008, 04:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me choose some shocks...

OK, right now I've got the 1.75" BB from Rough Country with the stock shocks....I'm about to install a 3/4" spacer in the front which will put me at around 2.5"/front 1.75"/rear. I need some new, longer shocks to compensate...especially in the front. So, could someone who knows a thing or two about shocks tell me if these are the right lengths I would need??

stock lengths are around....

Front.... 14.5" - 22.25"
Rear..... 15" - 23.25"

These are the ones I'm looking at...

Skyjacker Hydro Front
14.54" - 24.75"

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16016_110.htm

Skyjacker Nitro Rear
15.05" - 25.35"

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16016_238.htm

The only reason I'm leaning towards the Hydro in the front is for the ride....right now I've got Rubi shocks and I want something something a little softer in the front.

Also, right now I don't have any extended bump stops so how badly would I need those with me stepping up to 2.5" from 1.75"?

Last edited by JK-KJ; 06-28-2008 at 04:51 AM.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:22 AM
JK Super Freak

So, go Nitro all the way then? I can do that, just wanted a smoother ride than what I'm getting now...I think the Rubi shocks I've got are from a 4-door, maybe they're stiffer?

No foreseeable issues with the lack of extended bump stops you think?
Old 06-28-2008, 06:27 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How bout some red ones? No, white ones.....no black....no, wite...no, red........
Old 06-28-2008, 06:39 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

have you ridden in a jk with skyjacker shocks on? if not, may i recommend that you pick up a set of OME or Bilstein shocks instead. i think you will find that they offer a much more comfortable ride.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:44 AM
JK Newbie

I have the Nitro shocks all the way around... pretty stiff! If I had it to do over i'd try the Hydros!
Old 06-28-2008, 06:49 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by DiverDaddy
I have the Nitro shocks all the way around... pretty stiff! If I had it to do over i'd try the Hydros!
what kind of nitros do you have? skyjacker? good monotube nitro shocks are supposed to be firm and responsive but not necessarily "pretty stiff". while hydros can offer a softer ride, more times than not, they tend to be mushy and are terrible on the rocks.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

I started my lift adventure with twin tubes,have since changed up to bilstein manufactured rubican express monotubes(I think it's a custom valved bilstein 5100)on road and off I am totally happy with performance of the monotubes,big improvement over the R.E.twin tubes I started with
Old 06-28-2008, 07:11 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by rickl
I started my lift adventure with twin tubes,have since changed up to bilstein manufactured rubican express monotubes(I think it's a custom valved bilstein 5100)on road and off I am totally happy with performance of the monotubes,big improvement over the R.E.twin tubes I started with
I thought the R.E.'s and FT MOno's were made by Edelbrock?
Old 06-28-2008, 07:15 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by bly109
I thought the R.E.'s and FT MOno's were made by Edelbrock?
RE's monos were always made by bilstein and ft's "were" made by edelbrock. both were great riding shocks but ft was seeing a lot of quality control problems with the edelbrock (shocks being delivered to them with no charge) and so they have now switched over to bilstein as well - they look pretty much identical.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:24 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
RE's monos were always made by bilstein and ft's "were" made by edelbrock. both were great riding shocks but ft was seeing a lot of quality control problems with the edelbrock (shocks being delivered to them with no charge) and so they have now switched over to bilstein as well - they look pretty much identical.
Good to know, Thanks!

Quick Reply: Help me choose some shocks...