Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help me choose roof rack for Unlimited hard top

Old 12-23-2011, 09:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have interior pics of the inside of the Jeep with the MBRP rack mounted. I have small children that climb around. I m wondering about bolts and metal corners sticking out.

Also, if you mount lights to this or other racks, how do you run the wires that they dont show? I mean where do they enter the Jeep at?

Thanks
Old 12-23-2011, 10:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Been dreaming of a Gobi but just seems too expensive for my poser use......I would never use it to its full potential.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dakotawolf
I'm trying to find the weight of the MBRP rack. I'm wondering how much it adds to the vehicle weight and how much it sags the rear springs. This is one of the primary modifications/additions I'm making and knowing the weight/sag will help me determine the lift I add.

Anyone? Thanks.
Weight? Heck the entire thing probably doesnt weigh 30 lbs. Well maybe not 30, but not much; its just bent and powdercoated exhaust pipe. I installed a MBRP in the last few weeks and it doesnt weigh much, plus, its a simple 1 person install.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:27 PM
JK Junkie

I don't know the exact weight but I will say this IT'S HEAVY, and you'll notice it. I can't actually weigh it now but what used to take 2 people to remove now takes 3 or 4, but it's bombproof IMO nothing is as strong as the MBRP.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by knight1000
Anyone have interior pics of the inside of the Jeep with the MBRP rack mounted. I have small children that climb around. I m wondering about bolts and metal corners sticking out.
I'll see about getting you a few pics tomorrow. The bolts are short and the threads barely stick out thru the nylon-insert nuts. You could always plastic-dip the threads/nuts if they are a concern to you.

Originally Posted by knight1000
Also, if you mount lights to this or other racks, how do you run the wires that they dont show? I mean where do they enter the Jeep at?

Thanks
Todays project, running wires... The 2 inch tubing is open along the front uprights (along the front of the side window) and the front cross pipe. There are already holes drilled for light wires in the cross pipes and grommets are supplied. I was dissappointed to discover that the rear cross pipe is solidly welded to the rear upright and there isnt a way to hide wires in it for roof-rack mounted back-up lights. Again, I will see about posting some pics tomorrow.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SFBayArea
Hello, just got my 2010 Unlimited rubicon.

Guys, I finally became owner of the Jeep , just picked up today my very own 2010 Unlimited Rubicon with hard top.
First thing I want to put on it is the roof rack.
I was wondering if anyone have an experience with these two racks:

Garvin Industries 44014 - Garvin Industries Sport Series Track Rack for 07-11 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door with Hard Top - Quadratec
Garvin Industries 44064 - Garvin Industries Specialty Rack for 07-11 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door with Hard Top - Quadratec

I like these racks because they are half the roof and don't obstruct the view if I decide to take front panels off of the top.
Of course I like the first one better for the price and it also looks cleaner, however, how much weight can one put on this rack considering that it is plastic top?
Thanks.
There it's another option..search for my write up titled warrior roof rack....cheap easy and strong...and can still use the freedom tops.

Quick Reply: Help me choose roof rack for Unlimited hard top