Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help me beef up my 2010 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon!

Old 06-01-2013, 08:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me beef up my 2010 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon!

Hey! New poster here, and new Jeep Owner. I bought my 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon right before I left for Afghanistan. I've been thinking about it everyday for the past five months and can't wait to get back and drive! I'm looking to spend about 3k on modifications. This is why I came here for help. I ideally want this out of my jeep. I would like it to sit an inch taller, I was thinking tires alone would do this, however I would like black rims with silver on them as well. My jeep is mango by the way. If anyone could recommend some 17 inch rims with the biggest M/T that won't rub for under 3k it would be greatly appreciated. I don't do serious offroading but have been known to play in the mud. Awesome forum here!
Old 06-01-2013, 08:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay first start by reading this thread. https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...bie-has-18617/ Lots of good info in there to help you understand what you might want to do with your Jeep. With $3000 you could definitely do a 2 inch BB (budget boost) and throw some 33 inch tires on it with your favorite wheels. When it comes to which companies to go with I personally like Rock Krawler suspension and Toyo Tires. As for recommending wheels, man thats like asking where can you get a good burger. Ask 10 people and get 10 different answers. Black Rock wheels has some nice stuff in black. The bolt pattern your looking for is 5x5 and you probably would want around a 4.5 inch backspace. I personally have the Black Rock 909S which is the same as what your looking for.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:22 PM
JK Newbie

Would the following items work and how much higher would my jeep sit.

TeraFlex 1355210 2.5 Inch Budget Boost Suspension System by TeraFlex : Amazon.com : Automotive

Amazon.com: KMC Wheels XD Series Addict XD798 Matte Black Wheel (17x9"/5x5"): Automotive

Nitto Trail Grappler M/T All-Terrain Tire - 35/1250R17 121Q : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 06-01-2013, 09:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for your service

Those items will work very well together. The teraflex kit will give you what you need to run 35's. The nittos are great MT tires and those rims are obviously great. 5x5 is the bolt patturn you need and 4.75 or less backspacing. The rims you picked are 4.53bs so you are good to go.

The only thing you might need is a beefed up tire carrier. The OEM one might work for awhile but the 35s weigh quite a bit more than the stock. The Teraflex hinge is a good option but it is a little pricey

edit: that lift will make you sit at 3inches higher in the front 2 in the rear... the stock rubi tires are 32 so you are going to 35 which will be a 3 inch taller wheel but only 1.5 inches higher... so I would say 3 to 5 inches higher, which might not seem like much but once you are hooked up with it, you will be able to tell the difference.

Last edited by hypeiv; 06-01-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:01 PM
JK Newbie

I won't lose 5th gear or anything like that with the bigger tires will I? I'm debating between buying 5 rims and tires or just going with 4. 5 falls in my budget, but always looking to save. SHould I for sure get 5 and 5?
Old 06-01-2013, 10:04 PM
JK Newbie

Also the dimensions on those tires will fit well with the rims? Will most auto body shops do the install? I live in an apartment and don't have anywhere to do my own work. I can't wait to drive my jeep again, it's been to long!
Old 06-01-2013, 10:09 PM
JK Jedi

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome aboard the JK-Forum You'll find a ton of info here on anything you'd like to know related to your jeep!
Old 06-01-2013, 10:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your wheels and tires will work together just fine. Personally I would get 5 but there are people that run just 4 and remove the spare tire carrier. As far as loosing your fifth gear that's hard to say without knowing what kind of axle ratio you have. It will be a little slower yes. You will also need something along the lines of an AEV Procal to set your speedometer and odometer properly.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:42 PM
JK Newbie

Would I be best off with the tires I previously posted or would a 315/70R/17 tire work as well? I've heard they are a little cheaper sometimes.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gottabeHUGE
Would I be best off with the tires I previously posted or would a 315/70R/17 tire work as well? I've heard they are a little cheaper sometimes.
315/70R17 will only be slight smaller so if they are much cheaper go that route.

If you are looking to save money I would drop down to 15 inch wheels, which is what I did.

35x12.5x15 run about $100 cheaper per tire than 35x12.5x17 and the total wheel and tire weight will be about 20lbs lighter than the same size tire on a 17.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/spon...wheels-120933/

As far as getting your lift installed... the budget boost is pretty easy. I would post on the regional forum or see if you can find a local club. Its usually not that hard to find other Jeepers out there willing to help install lifts.

Quick Reply: Help me beef up my 2010 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon!