Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

HELP! Massive Tire Rub on Rear JK Body Panel!

Old 09-07-2008, 06:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think if it was cut at an angle, following the fender it would be fine. Treat it, fill in the gap, and paint to match. Plus it will be covered up by my PJ Sliders.

This is getting steamy!
That's what I did. I am in no way a body expert, but it seems to me that if you bent it in with a hammer, it would cause the paint to crack and flake off. Maybe I'm wrong though.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wrnglrguy
That's what I did. I am in no way a body expert, but it seems to me that if you bent it in with a hammer, it would cause the paint to crack and flake off. Maybe I'm wrong though.
Thats exactly what I was thinking
Old 09-07-2008, 07:00 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by wrnglrguy
I am not an expert either, and i know a lot of people who cut it....... Thats what I did..... havent heard anything negative about cutting it till now.... and he still has not said what...... I just hacked at an angle and filed till it looked smooth and good....
Old 09-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

I cut it !
Old 09-07-2008, 07:15 PM
JK Super Freak

I couldn't see hitting it because if you miss you don't have three strikes
Old 09-07-2008, 07:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cut it with a dremel or an angle grinder.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like everyone else has said , just, wack it off. I mean cut it.

I had to do the same thing with mying.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:32 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sawsall is the way Ewoky! Chopped mine off months ago. Sanded, dressed the edges with a dremel and painted with 3m rubberized undercoating along with the rest of the fenderwell. I figure by the time that spot rusts, I'll have alot more rust in other spots as well,soooo Cut it off man before it ruins your new tires!
Old 09-07-2008, 09:51 PM
JK Super Freak

I bent mine by the use of pliers and a hammer and tucked it out of the way. There was some paint that flaked but I sprayed that and all of my pinch seems with 3m undercoating. Looks great.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:29 AM
JK Super Freak

So the guy with 32" tires says don't (DON'T) cut it and doesn't respond anymore? lol

I'm actually not having any rub with my lift, but it is certainly very close. I was thinking of cutting at an angle, smoothing and then the next time my Jeep goes into the shop for it's next mod, have the guys weld in a little patch over the hole. That seems like it would keep any water, mud, etc from getting in there and rusting it from the insdie out and make it a bit stronger (I don't even know that it needs to be stronger).

But since Ewok is taking his into the shop, maybe that's a good way for him to go about it, assuming the person who's doing the slider install also knows how to weld.

Quick Reply: HELP! Massive Tire Rub on Rear JK Body Panel!