Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help with loud rear-end axle clunk

Old 06-09-2014, 05:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jade_Monkey07
Iv got something similar going on. Mine has nothing to do with bumps, strictly on acceleration after being parked. Or reverse then forward. Its not CAs. This started about a months ago and a completely new lift has gona in and no change. Local shop had no quick ideas except that there might be a worn out part in the Open dif in the rear. Ill be going in tomorrow to see further into it I dont always drive where others cant. but when I do, its in my Jeep. Stay muddy my friends
Right. Check the axle and frame control arm brackets. If the holes ovaled out a bit, it won't matter what new parts you toss at it. The bolts will move in the holes. One way to possibly tell is to put the jeep in park, have someone lay below by the arms and rock the jeep all the way forward and back. Sometimes you can actually see the arm moving. Doesn't always work, but if it does it saves you time from pulling the bolts.

Rear ends don't clunk. Off chance someone has a bad wheel bearing, but even then it rarely clunks.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ill give that a shot tomorrow. Thanks for the tips

I dont always drive where others cant. but when I do, its in my Jeep. Stay muddy my friends
Old 06-26-2014, 07:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update from my end of the world. I checked Everything i possibly could. In the end we pulled the dif cover to find beautiful gunmetal metallic colored fluid. It Was in the rear end thats for sure. My spider gears have been eating themselves. Binding on low speed micro turns. Which is why parallel parking akways made it happen.

The shop agreed with you that rear ends dont typically clunk. One had seen this in older chevs. But this is a first in a jk they've seen. Glad we figured it out. But my wallet is gonna be 4.88 elocker and a truetrac lighter now :p

Stay muddy my friends

Quick Reply: Help with loud rear-end axle clunk