Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help with loud rear-end axle clunk

Old 06-01-2014, 02:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help with loud rear-end axle clunk

Ok, I've spent two months dealing with this clunk and trying to find what it is. Basically, going over any bump, even at 1mph, I get a very loud, you can hear me coming down the road, clunk-ka-clunk. I've literally removed everything to try and find it. Control arms, track bar, track bar bracket, shocks, coils, bumper, license plate and holder, brake lights, drive shaft, rear storage box in the carpet, jack and tools, rear seat, etc.

With that said, I noticed my driver axle shaft had a lot of movement (noise is coming from driver rear). I pulled it and found a bearing in two pieces (ten factory shafts). Shaft was fine, so I replaced bearing, collar, races, etc. Once reinstalled, the shaft still had more play than the passenger side (in/out movement). Anyway, no change in the noise.

Worked on it last night with someone. To recreate the noise, someone literally has to jump on the bumper, so it takes a weight shift to create it (bumps at any speed). The sound is coming from the driver side of the axle housing (wheel bearing, brakes, etc.).

At this point I'm stumped. Just be clear, it's a loud noise. You can hear me a 100 ft up the road if I hit any bumps and it's just as loud when I drop off the 1" ledge at the end of my driveway. Sounds like the rear end is falling apart (not literally, but that's the sound - like it's all loose and floating around).

I did pull the diff cover and fluid was clean, no metal, and everything appeared in good condition, no unusual wear on ring gear.

Help!! It's driving me insane....
Old 06-01-2014, 02:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check along your exhaust piping an see if it's close to the frame, trackbar, swaybar, etc. I had a clunk that I couldn't track down it was my exhaust. The rubber hangers make it easy for the piping to bump other things that are even up to 1" away when the rig is parked.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:59 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Biginboca
Check along your exhaust piping an see if it's close to the frame, trackbar, swaybar, etc. I had a clunk that I couldn't track down it was my exhaust. The rubber hangers make it easy for the piping to bump other things that are even up to 1" away when the rig is parked.
I'll double check, but doubt it. I was laying under the axle when someone jumped on my Jeep and the sound was coming from the axle housing/brake area. I checked the exhaust and all looked good. It's definitely not near the axle, so hard to imagine the sound goes through the axle.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've noticed the same thing recently. Haven't has a chance to get underneath it yet though. I have also noticed a "clunk" sound when first accelerating from a dead stop. I can't hear it with the windows up. The sound when going over a bump I hear over everything, though.

Auto trans. By the way. Don't know if that changes anything.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Same damn thing here. Triple checked CA torque, track bar torque and everything else I can find.
As mentioned above, you can wiggle the exhaust alot but I dont think that's it ...sounds different.
I do notice when hitting my caliper area with my fist it does rattle a little. Doubt that's it though.
So damn annoying.....

Sent from my LG-LS980 using JK-Forum
Old 06-08-2014, 07:05 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Is your rig lifted...do the rear springs have a bow...might be rubbing on track bar
Old 06-09-2014, 10:15 AM
JK Freak

Subscribed
I get a rear axle area clunk when I let my foot off of the gas pedal......but only when the chassis is wet, like while I'm driving in the rain.
Been trying to figure this out forever!!
Old 06-09-2014, 12:02 PM
JK Junkie

Many of the posts here sound like a wallowed out control arm bolt hole. This is common as the stock bolts are smaller than the holes (should be 9/16" bolts, but they are not). Over time, the bolt holes get elongated. Regardless of bolt torque, the force of the axle will cause the bolt to move back and forth in the hole causing a clunk sound. The sound is most apparent when beginning to accelerate and when going over bumps (most noticeable at slow speeds).

Pull the bolts and look at the hole in the brackets. Just going to a shouldered 9/16" bolt will likely fix it, but some may need to weld washers in to fix it.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Iv got something similar going on. Mine has nothing to do with bumps, strictly on acceleration after being parked. Or reverse then forward. Its not CAs. This started about a months ago and a completely new lift has gona in and no change. Local shop had no quick ideas except that there might be a worn out part in the Open dif in the rear. Ill be going in tomorrow to see further into it

I dont always drive where others cant. but when I do, its in my Jeep. Stay muddy my friends
Old 06-09-2014, 02:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had two separate clunks with my rig both have been found and fixed. The first was when I would brake I would hear a bangs from the front end. I turned out to be a worn frame side joint from my rough country lower control arm. The second clunk was from the rear that I only heard either off road or real bumpy roads. Turned out to be worn rear sway bar link bushings

Quick Reply: Help with loud rear-end axle clunk