Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help!!! - Long Arm vs. Short Arm Lift....

Old 07-31-2008, 09:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by huskerjk7
I was under the assumption that the Track bar relocation brackets were not needed if using adjustable track bars . ?
Nope... the rear utilizes a relocation bracket... the front does not use a relocation.

4 inches of list does not require new control arms... as someone has said before the jk is a different setup than the tj and can go bigger lift without lots of moification... I don't want you to get scared all of a sudden seeing these huge price tags and long lists of parts... pick a nice package and go from there... call the companys you are interested and pick their brain. GOOD LUCK
Old 08-01-2008, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looking around at all the different kits, what is the beni's/cons of straight control arms vs radiused arms? I noticed TF uses a bent control arm (as do many) where-as FT uses straight arms. I was hoping I could get an engineering perspective from one of the TF reps or another suspension designer as what the train of thoughts were behind the decision.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:40 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by style_front
Looking around at all the different kits, what is the beni's/cons of straight control arms vs radiused arms? I noticed TF uses a bent control arm (as do many) where-as FT uses straight arms. I was hoping I could get an engineering perspective from one of the TF reps or another suspension designer as what the train of thoughts were behind the decision.
TeraFlex short arms are straight but the LA kits are bent. The arms are bent for tire/ground clearance.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
TeraFlex short arms are straight but the LA kits are bent. The arms are bent for tire/ground clearance.
Can you explain a little more, what would be contacting what in both the ground or tire aspect of that decision?
Old 08-01-2008, 08:22 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by style_front
Can you explain a little more, what would be contacting what in both the ground or tire aspect of that decision?
With the combination of larger/wider tires and rims clearance is gained with arms that are bent in. In the front it allows you to turn more. That way your not maxed out by hitting your tires against a control arm. On the lowers it helpful when your coming up to a obstacle, letting the tires hit first and not turing the arms into sliders. Feel free to give me a call about this.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by strike2dr
Sounds like you have no need for a long arm kit... if you really like wheeling a lot you can always add it later. I attached a pic of my jeep at the bottom... I am runnning a 4 inch superlift supspension wift with a 1 inch rear coil spacer to level it out. 3 inches will clear 35's its just all about what you want... I would highly reccomend either superlift that offers a 4 inch lift or black diamond that offers a 3 inch. They are both made by the same company they are high quality and an extremely fair price. Their customer service is by far number one as well. Check 4 wheel parts. com they usually have the best prices!
what did you have to do for that look great there? And are those the factory wheels ?
Old 11-19-2018, 06:06 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,695 Posts

Originally Posted by Jtempleton
what did you have to do for that look great there? And are those the factory wheels ?
Thread is over a decade old, and that user hasn't posted since Jan 2012. They're running a 4" lift on a 2dr which is effing stupid, and using factory wheels.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:09 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Thread is over a decade old, and that user hasn't posted since Jan 2012. They're running a 4" lift on a 2dr which is effing stupid, and using factory wheels.
why is it stupid?
Old 11-19-2018, 06:13 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,695 Posts

Originally Posted by Jtempleton
why is it stupid?
Looks dumb, that much lift not necessary, just creating high center of balance on a short wheel base.....

idk why people seem to think higher is better/cooler. The higher you go, the more work you have to do to keep decent driveline/steering angles....and you're not getting any better performance out of it.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:17 AM
JK Newbie

So what is your ideal lift? Looking for 35” tires, but I don’t want to rub when I’m off road

Quick Reply: Help!!! - Long Arm vs. Short Arm Lift....