Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

help locate mfg for custom, colored soft top for JK

Old 10-17-2007, 08:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help locate mfg for custom, colored soft top for JK

I wasn't sure about the correct BB to post this, so I hope this is it.
Can anyone tell me where to find someone to make a custom, colored soft top for my JK (4dr), or a mfg'er that makes them to match factory body colors?
Old 10-17-2007, 08:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, Besttop and Pavement Ends seem to seem to make a majority of the aftermarket softtops out there, so you might try contacting them.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:05 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ed2fun
I wasn't sure about the correct BB to post this, so I hope this is it.
Can anyone tell me where to find someone to make a custom, colored soft top for my JK (4dr), or a mfg'er that makes them to match factory body colors?
What color are you thinking? The only color I would like would be black (not the dark grey that come factory). But red, yellow, blue, green, silver, white....etc would be nasty looking.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:26 AM
JK Junkie

As another poster wrote, I would suggest starting with the aftermarket soft-top makers. If you don't have any luck there, you may consider talking to a company that makes heavy-duty sails for boats... although I'm not sure that they'd be able to replicate the windows. Likewise, you may also want to try to find a small tent maker, because they'd have materials similar to those of a soft-top. Good luck, and let us know how this turns out!
Old 10-18-2007, 06:33 AM
JK Newbie

Hey Guys, sorry for the delayed response. My *#%^#ing computer was not cooperating.
I have tried all the top manufacturers I can find. No one makes a top, other than the basic colors; black, tan, etc. . I know some of color names used are Spice, etc., but they're still the same basic colors. The soft top seems to present some problems for a custom shop. The heat sealed windows, tight specs to keep the top from over stretching or flapping in the wind, etc.. I thought it would be easier to have a top made than I'm finding it to be. I'm still open for suggestions. Please keep making them, maybe someone can think of something I haven't.
I'm all ears!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-18-2007, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not sure if they could handle what your looking for but you could try contacting someone that make sails (sailboats) they may be able to handle it, or possibly a company that makes hot air balloons. Not sure they could handle the job but it's worth a call.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not sure of the color you are looking for but you could try getting someone to dye it a color. They make spray dry for fabric now. I don't think anyone such as best top and the likes is going to make a top for you in a custom color. Califonia tops use to make different tops but they may be long out of buisness. One other thing you could try, is going to a custom apolstry shop or contact a shop that does one off tops for custom hotrods. Good luck on this one.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Well, I'm surprised no one asked, but what color are you wanting?

The options would seem to be fairly expensive. The best one and probably the easiest would be to buy a soft top used, so that you have th entire frame, take that soft top to a custom upholstery shop that does convertible tops and have them essentially make a new skin for the frame you brought in. They'd also have the old one to use as a reference point.

You're looking at a ton of money for a soft top, but it would be one of a kind.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:09 AM
JK Newbie

I'll try to answer a few of your questions and suggestions.
I do currently have a soft top, frame, etc.. I just want a red top. After all the trouble / expense finding one, I may realize I don't want it bad enough. I've tried several custom upholstery shops without success so far, and talked with all the Jeep top mfg'ers I can find. I've really spent a lot of time researching my options without much luck . I haven't given up yet, but I may find out it is just too expensive to have one made. If anyone else has ideas, throw them at me! I'm open to all suggestions, but you need to dig pretty deep to come up with something I haven't tried.
Oh by the way, the wife and I are headed to Asheville today for the weekend. We plan to hit a few trails and the Blue Ridge Parkway to see the Fall colors. That means it maybe Sunday or Monday before I can respond back to you guys.
Thanks for your ideas!!!!!!!
Old 10-19-2007, 07:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00pumpkin
What color are you thinking? The only color I would like would be black (not the dark grey that come factory). But red, yellow, blue, green, silver, white....etc would be nasty looking.
Mine was black from the factory and tan was also available. I don't recall seeing a gray soft top from the factory. I agree that some colors on a soft-top would be

Quick Reply: help locate mfg for custom, colored soft top for JK