Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help with lights

Old 11-16-2014, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with lights

Looking to add KC 121 130W slim hilights to my jeep. They come with a relay in the wiring harness. Rather than using the included switch in the kit, I want to swap out a wireless transmitter. Goal is easy install with no dash cutting.

I am not an electrical guy, so please forgive my ignorance. I know that the lights will pull about 10.8 amps a piece. The only 12v wireless remote switch that I can find is rated at 15amps.

Question... If I use the relay included in the kit (which can take the load) can I "slave" the 15amp remote relay as well? Since the lights wiring will have the included amp and the wireless amp will I be okay, since the entire circuit has more than the require amperage requirement? Or am I looking at this wrong.. Is it the "weakest point in the circuit"

Once again not an electrical guy..... Don't know if the circuit is "cumulative" or each point is "singular".

Thanks for the insight
Old 11-16-2014, 08:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WHT_JKUR
Looking to add KC 121 130W slim hilights to my jeep. They come with a relay in the wiring harness. Rather than using the included switch in the kit, I want to swap out a wireless transmitter. Goal is easy install with no dash cutting.

I am not an electrical guy, so please forgive my ignorance. I know that the lights will pull about 10.8 amps a piece. The only 12v wireless remote switch that I can find is rated at 15amps.

Question... If I use the relay included in the kit (which can take the load) can I "slave" the 15amp remote relay as well? Since the lights wiring will have the included amp and the wireless amp will I be okay, since the entire circuit has more than the require amperage requirement? Or am I looking at this wrong.. Is it the "weakest point in the circuit"

Once again not an electrical guy..... Don't know if the circuit is "cumulative" or each point is "singular".

Thanks for the insight

If I am understanding you correctly, then yes you can use the wireless relay to activate the beefier relay for the lights. The current draw of relays are typically in the milliamp range so you should be fine wiring them in parallel off the same feed from the battery.

Jason
Old 11-16-2014, 08:49 PM
JK Freak

^^ he is correct. The KC harness already has the wiring built in for a switch they include I believe. You would use the wire coming from the switch to the relay, but instead of the included switch, you would wire in your wireless receiver. I'm not sure if you've purchased the remote or not, but I would get one much smaller. As stated above, relays take milliamps to activate so a 15amp remote is completely unnecessary.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by countrydude1992
^^ he is correct. The KC harness already has the wiring built in for a switch they include I believe. You would use the wire coming from the switch to the relay, but instead of the included switch, you would wire in your wireless receiver. I'm not sure if you've purchased the remote or not, but I would get one much smaller. As stated above, relays take milliamps to activate so a 15amp remote is completely unnecessary.

Thanks for the information!

Quick Reply: Help with lights