Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help with lift upgrades

Old 01-26-2023, 03:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with lift upgrades

I picked up a 2013 JKU last summer, my first Jeep, and am wanting to do some upgrades.

It came with an AEV 2" spacer lift - looks like it's a levelling kit since the front spacers measure 2" and the rears measure 1".

I'm fine with the springs/spacers and overall ride height at the moment, but wanted to do some immediate upgrades to the shocks and steering.

My questions are mostly concerning the shocks and the bump stops. I'm using the Accutune website as a guide here:
https://accutuneoffroad.com/how-to-m...r-jeep-shocks/

Looking at the above picture, they have the 2" spacer above the spring, along with a 2" bump stop puck installed. As you can see, this causes very little room between the bump stop and puck - there's only 0.5" or so and only 2" of total travel to fully compress the bump stop against the puck. Are my shocks being limited by this small travel before I bottom out? Should I reduce the size of the puck to 1" or less?

I believe these are still the stock springs and shocks. Measuring the shocks via the Fox method, they are 17.5" on flat ground, or 18.75" via the King measuring method (per accutune website). Further, there is 6.75" of the lower tube of the shock exposed. Based on the accutune website, my understanding is that the bump stop space and the 6.75" measurement should be fairly similar, while still making sure it bottoms out on the bump stop first. Since my bump stop measurement is only 2", should I be able to remove that 2" puck to give me 4"?

I'm still trying to figure things out, but want to make sure my logic is making sense.
Old 01-26-2023, 03:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We will tackle this one step at a time.

With the 2 inch lift, you will want to get longer shocks to accommodate the travel, generally you can find a shocks for 2 inch lifts no problem and your steering set is fine. Not much there to upgrade unless you want to put on heavy tie rod and drag link, which I would not recommend. Save your money to use elsewhere.

I understand your thoughts with the bump stops and went down this path as well. Currently my JK is lifted 4 inches and run 4 inch stops in the front and rear. It will flex just fine and more then you think, so I would leave it be especially for the amount of work that will go into it to take them out.
Old 01-26-2023, 04:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, just to confirm what's going on in the rear with shocks and bump stops:

19 3/8" eyelet to eyelet on flat groung
6.5" of lower shock body exposed
1" bump puck installed
3" of space between the puck and bump stop
5" of total space including bump stop compressing

That seems to make more sense - the 6.5" of downward travel left in the shock, combined with 5" to full bump stop.

Whereas the front is 6.75" of downward travel left in the shock vs. only 2" to full bump stop.
Old 01-29-2023, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

Received 405 Likes on 380 Posts

Here is what should be on the JK if the OW installed the complete Kit: Installation instructions - https://www.aev-conversions.com/wp-c...ion-System.pdf

AEV is a well respected known Jeep upfit company; I use their 2.5" Dual Sport and had the 2" spacer kit on another; both performed very well. In the KIT:
INCLUDED PARTS Front Spring Spacers 2, Rear Spring Spacers 2, Front Bump Stop Spacers 2, Rear Bump Stop Spacers 2 Shock Extension Brackets 4 Front End Link Brackets 2 Front End Links (RHD ONLY) 2 Hardware Pack 1 Front Brakeline Drop Brackets 2 Zip Ties 4

Quick Reply: Help with lift upgrades