Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help with lift question

Old 01-09-2013, 02:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with lift question

Ok here's a question for you. I bought a rc 2.5" lift kit which came off a jku I'm putting it on my jk 2dr. I'm wondering if I need anything else (track bar bracket, longer rear sway bar links....etc) All I got was shocks and coil springs. Also would I net more than 2.5" with it?
Old 01-09-2013, 02:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Bump!............need input
Old 01-09-2013, 03:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

2.5 kit for jku. probably nets a little above 2.5 and you are adding to a 2 door jk.

Break line extensions
Front drive shaft
Bumpstops
control arms

I would read up on threads titled what do I need for 3-3.5 inches of lift for the 2 door jk. That might give a good list of what u need.

Do you have aftermarket front rear bumpers, winch? What type of wheeling do you do? What year is the jeep?
Old 01-09-2013, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

2011 jk sport

Weekend warrior, mud, sand, hill climbs

Would it be ok to install just springs and shocks for now and add the other parts later or are they needed with the lift now?
Old 01-09-2013, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Also stock bumpers and no winch as of yet. But soon to follow.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:07 PM
JK Freak

At 2.5" brake lines will be tight and depending on how much your shocks will allow it to flex, you might need drop brackets or new lines.

Assuming your shocks are matched to the springs, you'll need longer bumpstops to keep from over-compressing the shocks.

You don't have to do adjustable track bars, but your axles won't be centered left to right.

Don't replace the front driveshaft until the little rubber boot on the transfer case joint pinches and start slinging grease. You may never have to.

Try driving it with the stock arms and see if it wanders at highway speed. If it feels flighty, you'll need front LCA's. You might not have to buy these either.

Extending the breather tubes is cheap insurance while your under there.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah I'd say get some bumpstops\breaklines and worry about the rest when it fails or u have the $ to replace. As always, nothing is a must unless you want to return to a stock like ride at that height.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

So as of right now check to see if I need to get extended bump stops and deff buy brake relocation brackets?
Old 01-09-2013, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

If relocation brackets will extend the break lines, then yes. Other wise get some extended break like for that amount of lift which is the direction I would go.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

I called RC. The guy said I need nothing but some cambolts and possibly a track bar if my wheels are more than a quarter inch left or right. He also said I don't need brake line relocation because jeep leaves 10+ inches of line rolled up incase they need to do brake work. Also suggested a dual steering stabiliZer but stated I don't need it need it.

Quick Reply: Help with lift question