Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help from the lift install pros

Old 07-10-2009, 09:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help from the lift install pros

Allright guys, I have to adjust all my control arms tomorrow. Installing Tera 3 inch with full flex arm. All my lengths are wrong and have to readjust. Now for the rear, should I remove the spings and shocks to roll the axle into place, or should I essentially start from scratch and remove the springs and shocks. Also, can I adjust pinion angle with the shock and springs still in place, would there be too much pressure on the drive shaft with the springs pushing down on the axle and the jack pushing up on the pinion. Sorry for these questions, but I am a total newb to this stuff, it has been a long journey installing this lift. I have made some mistakes along the way, but I think it has been good for me.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:43 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, leave those in place. Set the JK down on it's tires when you adjust for your pinion angle. All the lengths in our instructions are good starting points. Have you taken it to a alignment shop yet?
Old 07-10-2009, 10:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Hey Joe, tomorrow I am going to start with the rear, both upper and lower control arms I set to the wrong length, dont ask. My axles is so far back that the track bar is rubbing on the spring. My pinion angle is close to the drive shaft angle, but it is not close enough for me, about 2 degrees. So I am going to set to your lengths in the instructions. My rear lowers are too long and have to shorten. Your have to jack up to adjust the rear lowers right?
Old 07-10-2009, 10:53 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by Ryanc
Hey Joe, tomorrow I am going to start with the rear, both upper and lower control arms I set to the wrong length, dont ask. My axles is so far back that the track bar is rubbing on the spring. My pinion angle is close to the drive shaft angle, but it is not close enough for me, about 2 degrees. So I am going to set to your lengths in the instructions. My rear lowers are too long and have to shorten. Your have to jack up to adjust the rear lowers right?
Actually you can just drop the end with the flex joint down. Make sure that you secure the axle with straps.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:00 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rear lower measurement that teraflex gives is what I used for my lowers I think. Then I just used my angle finder and rotated the anxle until pinion was straight, adjusted the uppers to that length. Couldn't be easier!
Old 07-10-2009, 12:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Is it safe to adjust pinion angle with the springs still in, will jacking up by the pinion with the springs still on cause any damage?
Old 07-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by Ryanc
Is it safe to adjust pinion angle with the springs still in, will jacking up by the pinion with the springs still on cause any damage?
Correct, it's all good. PM me this weekend if I need to call you.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Correct, it's all good. PM me this weekend if I need to call you.
Thanks Joe, but I got the rear fixed today. For anyone on the fence about what lift to get, this is why you get teraflex, great product and great customer service.

Quick Reply: Help from the lift install pros