Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help - Leak

Old 02-20-2014, 02:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help - Leak

I am not a mechanic so I do not know what I'm talking about.

I need to assess whether this is something serious that I need to take in this week or when I plan to go in next week sometime to the dealership.

At first I thought this was new but I have noticed recently there are some other spots on the concrete where I parked my Jeep. Looks like it could be from the same week.

Looks like one of the control arms is leaking fluid. Does anyone know what's going on here?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2580406706.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	532242   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2186774111.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	532243  
Old 02-20-2014, 03:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your steering stabilizer has seen better days and needs to go to the trashcan. It's fine to drive like that until you find time to replace it yourself. It's only 2 bolts and you can't mess anything up.

You can buy a new OEM stabilizer from the dealer or advance/ autozone/ oreilly's/ etc.

No big danger, keep on rolling. Have a good day.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hard to tell but it looks like it may just be the steering stabilizer. If so that is no big deal. You can pay to have a new one bolted on or buy an aftermarket one for half the price a dealer will charge. Even without mechanical experience you could bolt one on. It will not hurt anything to drive it like that.

If there is evidence of coolant or oil dripping from the engine area above the stabilizer then that is a more serious problem.

Edit: Ha above post said it qucker while I was typing.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just checked, no leaks from above. So if I understand correctly I can unbolted where it is in the driveway replace it without worrying about anything else falling apart? Also should I purchase the OEM version or different one or is there an upgrade? Thanks for the responses!
Old 02-20-2014, 05:27 AM
JK Freak

Oem is fine but why not upgrade. I bought a pro comp one from 4wheel parts that is similar to oem. $35 and it has a lifetime warranty. Had it on 2 years no prob. 20 min in the driveway.no problem.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BLACKJacK
Just checked, no leaks from above. So if I understand correctly I can unbolted where it is in the driveway replace it without worrying about anything else falling apart? Also should I purchase the OEM version or different one or is there an upgrade? Thanks for the responses!
You can unbolt it or leave it as is for now. There are no additional steps required with taking it off.

As far as upgrade or OEM- I would go with the cheapest one. The purpose of it is to 'numb' the feel of your tires a little bit and help to keep the wheel from jumping out of your hands when you hit a bump/ hole on the road with one tire. I would go OEM if it were me, look for one that someone wants out of their garage for $15.

Quick Reply: Help - Leak