Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

HELP - JKU Overheating and Transmission Hunting

Old 03-26-2017, 02:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SanJuanJK
I have not seen temps over 230 while driving on flat roads. But this assumes driving in the correct gear at 2000 +/- rpm.

A transmission that is constantly hunting and an engine that is rev'ing, as you described, will generate a great deal of heat. This will show up in your coolant temps.

Don't let it hunt. Try taking it out of automatic and driving in a set gear appropriate for the road and speed. If you manage rpms around 2000 it will be immediately apparent if the transmission is your heat issue. Your temps should stabilize well below 230...

I don't have a chip so can't comment on the impact a chip could be making on your shift points.
I will give it a shot. May help until I get the gears changed.....cheers!
Old 06-08-2017, 05:55 AM
JK Newbie

Im suremyou got this figured out by now but I'm curious as to what the problem was. I had pretty much thenexscr
dsme thing going on for about 3 months. I was anywhere from 210-242. Turned out that my thermostat was sticking open. Pulled it out and ran 195-205. I thought I had a cracked head or bad gasket. After my engine pile cooled down the tranny did as well.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:19 AM
JK Newbie

Subscribing. I flat tow my TJ behind my 2013 JKU and with camping gear, I am concerned with potential issues from the load. The gauges (or lack there of) in the JK suck so I'm also looking into what programmer or trail dash to get to supplement.

Quick Reply: HELP - JKU Overheating and Transmission Hunting