Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help! I've got analysis paralysis...

Old 12-06-2009, 11:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! I've got analysis paralysis...

My '09 4dr X (auto, 3.73, Flashpaq'd) is my daily driver. I'm not into rock crawling so I'm not really interested in 35" tires, 6" lift, etc. I normally use my vehicle to get to fishing and camping places. I've upgraded my tires to 31" DuraTracs on 17" wheels but the suspension is stock. I may replace bumpers in the future for purely cosmetic reasons but I don't plan to wheel alone so I can't see a winch in my future. I definitely will be adding rock rails, but that's "probably" about the limit of changes I'll be making to it.

Last weekend, while offroadiing in the Big Bend Ranch State Park (a place I highly recommend, by the way, if you're ever in West Texas), my rear tires rubbed the fender wells in some spots; fronts seemed okay. So, I know I need a little lift. And I wasn't impressed at all with the stock shocks. The ones that came with the Up Country package on my previous XJ felt way better. So I know I need shocks, too.

I've read everything on this site about lifts and I think I've narrowed it down to two choices: 2" coil spacers or new 2.5" coils. The difference in terms of ride height between 2" and 2.5" is, I think, negligible. I understand I will get a little more travel with the new coils over the spacers, and I think that's a plus. I've read lots of good things about TeraFlex products and service so I'm leaning toward their 2.5" coil kit.

I'd like to retain my current ride quality and still see some improvement off road. What's your opinion? Are spacers enough or should I just go with the coils? Do you think I'd be better off with the TF 9550 shock that comes with the kit, or buying the kit without the shocks and buying Bilsteins or Ranchos or some other brand?

Finally, the most important question: Do you think a 2.5" lift with 31" tires looks wrong? Just joking, but I do wonder.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:02 PM
JK Newbie

I think 31's and a 2.5 inch lift would look just fine and give you a little more room.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

31" tires are smaller than the OEM tires on the Rubi and Sahara... you should not need a lift at all

I would go with 1.75" spacers in front and 1" spacers in the rear. That will give you all of the clearance you need, and you should not have to worry about warranty issues.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RockyTX
My '09 4dr X (auto, 3.73, Flashpaq'd) is my daily driver. I'm not into rock crawling so I'm not really interested in 35" tires, 6" lift, etc. I normally use my vehicle to get to fishing and camping places. I've upgraded my tires to 31" DuraTracs on 17" wheels but the suspension is stock. I may replace bumpers in the future for purely cosmetic reasons but I don't plan to wheel alone so I can't see a winch in my future. I definitely will be adding rock rails, but that's "probably" about the limit of changes I'll be making to it.

Last weekend, while offroadiing in the Big Bend Ranch State Park (a place I highly recommend, by the way, if you're ever in West Texas), my rear tires rubbed the fender wells in some spots; fronts seemed okay. So, I know I need a little lift. And I wasn't impressed at all with the stock shocks. The ones that came with the Up Country package on my previous XJ felt way better. So I know I need shocks, too.

I've read everything on this site about lifts and I think I've narrowed it down to two choices: 2" coil spacers or new 2.5" coils. The difference in terms of ride height between 2" and 2.5" is, I think, negligible. I understand I will get a little more travel with the new coils over the spacers, and I think that's a plus. I've read lots of good things about TeraFlex products and service so I'm leaning toward their 2.5" coil kit.

I'd like to retain my current ride quality and still see some improvement off road. What's your opinion? Are spacers enough or should I just go with the coils? Do you think I'd be better off with the TF 9550 shock that comes with the kit, or buying the kit without the shocks and buying Bilsteins or Ranchos or some other brand?

Finally, the most important question: Do you think a 2.5" lift with 31" tires looks wrong? Just joking, but I do wonder.
The 2" spacers will give you an effective 2" lift, but the 2.5 TF will give you a bit more than 2.5" of lift.

A coil lift is better than the equivalent spacer lift, but if your budget is limited the spacer lift will work for that amount of lift.

The Bilstein 5100s are better shocks than the other two but they are also more expensive.

IMO, you can't go wrong if you go with the TF 2.5 coil lift with the TF shocks. It is a very popular lift and it will give you plenty of room for the 31s.
It will also enable to install some slightly larger tires in the future.

You are on the right track.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 08RUBIJK
31" tires are smaller than the OEM tires on the Rubi and Sahara... you should not need a lift at all
If I'm not mistaken, stock Rubi tires are 255/75s. Mine are 265/70s. They're a little wider but not as tall. The rubbing was caused by the outer edges of the tires, though. I think what caused it to rub was all the camping gear in the rear end. I was pretty loaded down.

Quick Reply: Help! I've got analysis paralysis...