Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help Installing Teraflex 2.5" Coil Spring Lift

Old 10-23-2008, 06:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doc307
I have good mechanical skills and a friend is going to try to come who has above average mechanical skills (builds motors etc). Maybe I should get some compressors just in case.
Of course I will save the beer for last. Have made that mistake 1 time before.
If you both have good skills, don't buy spring compressors just get more beer.

I didn't need to disco the brake lines or electric wire. But do use a jack to hold axel up so you don't streatch anything. Minor levering with the flat pry bar. I say flat, other wise the spring will tend to slip and slide. And it does require 2. Or one flat bar and a huge screwdriver.

Have fun and just make sure the bolts and nuts go in, in the proper direction and the links are straight up and down.
Oh, the other snag you will run into unless TF fixed this is the rear track bar relocation brackett. It really doesn't fit as expected. But a drill fixes this. Minor redrilling of hole. Make sure everything is torqued.
I havn't had any problems with mine at all at full flex many times. Without the rear wheel spacers you will rub your rims on the inside, but only at full flex...
Old 10-23-2008, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

i put a lift on my TJ without spring compressors, i was able to lower one side of the axel at a time to slide the springs in, not sure if this method will work on the JK, ill prob find out come spring when i buy this exact lift, i hear its gooood
Old 10-23-2008, 07:07 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by gtlegg
i put a lift on my TJ without spring compressors, i was able to lower one side of the axel at a time to slide the springs in, not sure if this method will work on the JK, ill prob find out come spring when i buy this exact lift, i hear its gooood

It is a fantastic lift. Roads great, wheels great! Looks like from what you said, it installes the same. no compressors and drop one side at a time.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Okay, tomorrow is the day. I went ahead and got a coil compressor from the auto part store loan program just to have. I think I have everything I need. At least I have the wife's ride when I realize there is something else. I will take some pics.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

im putting on this lift tomorrow.. what you guys said really helped .. and once i get it on ill let you know how it goes doc.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I also used a tie down strap to line up the rear track bar once the extension was installed. This was in the directions. I also did research on the write-ups here. Take your time. I ended up geting new sway links for the front as I did not want to relocate the rear. Oh, make sure to seat the front springs in the right location. I missed this and had a couple of days of clunking until I seated them properly. If you are reusing stock wheels you need to watch clearances with the sway link bolts... And check your bolts after a few days.

I agree... Mine drives well, wheels well.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:56 PM
JK Super Freak

I will post better pics tomorrow but here is a before and after. I have not tightened all the control arms, centered steering wheel but everything is on and will finish tomorrow with some help from a friend. I want to say thank you to ZoSo-Green for lending a hand this afternoon.

Before:

After:
Old 10-25-2008, 05:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default nice

I don't want to steal Doc's tunder... ... But...

I went to visit Doc today, Class A guy! (bought a factory bumper w/ holes-n-hooks from him)

The lift looks awesome! I Gave a lil' hand on the right front. I'll let him supply the details. It was fun though.

I had to leave early, so I didn't get a beer.

Man, I can't wait to see it complete!

Old 10-25-2008, 05:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wish List: CB, 33's or 35's

Should say - Wish List: CB, 35's!
Old 10-25-2008, 06:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Wish list changed.

I had a couple of problems with the lift.
First, apparently I messed up the threads on the bolt for the trackbar relocation bracket and my friend had to go to the store to buy a new bolt and nut.
Second, I was having a time getting the front passenger coil in, had the other 3 in already. Could not get the axle to drop far enough. That is when ZoSo-Green showed up and lended a hand. I was working by myself at this time and could not have finished without him.
Other than that, everything seemed to go smooth.

Quick Reply: Help Installing Teraflex 2.5" Coil Spring Lift