Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help Installing Teraflex 2.5" Coil Spring Lift

Old 10-22-2008, 05:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Installing Teraflex 2.5" Coil Spring Lift

Looks like I will be installing a Teraflex 2.5" Coil Spring lift with shocks.I have the following:a fairly nice set of tools including a torque wrench1 pair of high lift jack stands1 pair standard jack stands2 floor jacksmechanics glovesand of course a fridge in the garage with beer.Am I missing anything I will need for this?
Old 10-22-2008, 06:42 PM
JK Freak

Looks like you'll be all set.

I put on the same lift. There is lots of posts on this subject, with lots of great ideas.

To start of course make sure your electric line and brake line are NOT tight.

One of my good ideas was, when installing the front coils, just put the bumpstop in the spring. Not snapped into position. Use 2 of those wide flat wreaking bars to lever the spring up and into position. You'll have to play with this alittle. When you get the spring in place on both sides. Then lube up the bumpstop with say some "Simple Green" or dish soap. Lift up the axel some and put the bumpstop into the hole its supposed to fit in. Again you'll have to use the flat bars to pop it into place. This worked great for me. The front end is the hardest, but once you have dome it you will want to rush out and help all your freinds...

The back is easy. On both front and back pay attention to which way the bolts go and where and how to attatch the sway bar links.

Search for these articles on installation they will help. There is also on a sister site a good bunch of pictures. Look in the "Write up's gallery" it's the 2.5 BB lift. But they are dealing with coils also...

http://www.project-jk.com/

Good luck... No beer till your done now...
Old 10-22-2008, 06:46 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah dude this lift is simple, took 3 hours... but definitly snag some coil compressors. it will make your life 1000 times easier.. unless you have hulkemania powers. if so id advise not to use the spring compressors
Old 10-22-2008, 07:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Hey Chewey, How are the 35's with this lift?
Old 10-22-2008, 07:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ditto on the spring compressors, also make sure your jack stands are tall enough the suspension will drop pretty far, i couldnt get my tires back on after the lift was installed and had to jack up the front axle again just to put the tires on.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chewbacca
definitly snag some coil compressors. it will make your life 1000 times easier..
X2! without the compressors, the install could make for a miserable time.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:05 PM
JK Freak

A breaker bar or pull handle comes in handy with the big stuff. You can get a 1/2" pull handle at Harbor Freight for about $10 or a nice pull handle with ratchet action for $25. Also, if your max jack lift is less than 20", you may want to get a block of wood too.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:20 PM
JK Freak

i got mine in no problems. no spring compressors. just had to undo the brake lines and the axle dropped. didn't undo the arms or anything.

the bump stops where a bitch. i put them in the springs, put the springs on then tried to press them into place... it sucked royaly. i then used WD 40 as lube and used a hair dryer to heat up the plastic and it slid right in.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:38 PM
JK Newbie

Drink the beer AFTER the install

I put this same lift on by myself. Took 4 or so hours. If you posess basic mechanical skills, you can do it with no problems, with or without spring compressors. TF makes a nice product, I love my lift!
Old 10-23-2008, 02:56 PM
JK Super Freak

I have good mechanical skills and a friend is going to try to come who has above average mechanical skills (builds motors etc). Maybe I should get some compressors just in case.
Of course I will save the beer for last. Have made that mistake 1 time before.

Quick Reply: Help Installing Teraflex 2.5" Coil Spring Lift