Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help I'm on my third pinion seal

Old 05-12-2009, 08:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LidLess07X
I actually posted the question for the shop that did the work. He asked me to see what I could find out other than the obvious. He didn't want to get it in the shop and then start investigating and tying up my Jeep. I had heard the same thing about the J.E. Reels. but don't know enough about driveshafts to offer any help. Should I order a Tom Woods??
So this shop is asking you to try and figure this out? Isnt that thier job?

He didnt take it in the shop because warrenty work is loathed by flat rate mechanics.

Custom work is low priority after it leaves the shop.

I would phone REEL and make this thier problem.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:40 PM
JK Newbie

tell them to compared the old yoke with the new one. you can measure the diameter where the seal rides and compare both. check the lenght of the yoke from where the nut bottoms out to the other end. make sure that when they removed the original seal they didnt damage the diff housing, this can cause the seal to leak around the seal where it seals with the diff housing.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:58 AM
JK Freak

Default leak

I had Je Reels and gears changed out and the seal was leaking too. Changed to a new factory/stock seal and leak stopped.

also make sure the seal is not damaged, crimped, which seems to be a common problem when installing.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BaloneyPony
So this shop is asking you to try and figure this out? Isnt that thier job?

He didnt take it in the sh op because warrenty work is loathed by flat rate mechanics.

Custom work is low priority after it leaves the shop.

I would phone REEL and make this thier problem.
The shop owner asked me to check because He knows I am on this forum and that there is a wealth of knowledgeIn addition to the homework they are doing. They would promptly rebuild it twenty times if I asked them to. I, like an idiot, tossed out the old yokes and now I have nothing to measure. Just trying to gather as much info as possible, thanks
Old 08-02-2009, 02:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Talked w/ JE Reel and found out that seals are different for the front and rear and that they have had issues with people mixing them up and having the rear leak. The differences were so tiny that even the best mechanics would not catch that the front was tight and the rear was loose. My shop swiched out the swapped the front for the rear (existing ones) and now all is fine. J.E. Reel has since changed to the same size yolks for the front and rear to avoid this problem.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:21 PM
JK Freak

I'm running tatton ds's with new yokes front an rear. The owner curtis recommended placing a bead of black silicon around the pinion nut to help prevent any minor leaks. Just put over 1600 miles on a road trip and no leaks. idk if its a tolerance issue with the flanges or if it's the silicon but it works. I'd try removing the nut and applying silicon an see if that solves your problem.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jkJason
I'm running tatton ds's with new yokes front an rear. The owner curtis recommended placing a bead of black silicon around the pinion nut to help prevent any minor leaks. Just put over 1600 miles on a road trip and no leaks. idk if its a tolerance issue with the flanges or if it's the silicon but it works. I'd try removing the nut and applying silicon an see if that solves your problem.
This sounds like a good idea! Has anyone else try the silicone trick to stop the rear TC leak?

Quick Reply: Help I'm on my third pinion seal