Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help identifying what's going on here

Old 05-15-2017, 07:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help identifying what's going on here

Hey did some work on the Moab this weekend. And noticed this modified shock mount and was wondering what's the purpose of mounting the shocks like this. I am figuring improved geometry and stability. But I would like the official answer.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Those are relocation brackets. It keeps the body of shock from rubbing against the frame at full flex!!
Old 05-15-2017, 08:26 AM
JK Newbie

Ah. Thanks. I have some other brackets and such on this axle. I'll take some pics tonight and pick ya'lls collective brains. I am just not getting a chance to really dig into this Jeep and see what is all done to it. Just did brake pads, rotors, flush fluid, and new trans filter and fluid.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:27 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Skullcandy33
Hey did some work on the Moab this weekend. And noticed this modified shock mount and was wondering what's the purpose of mounting the shocks like this. I am figuring improved geometry and stability. But I would like the official answer.

They are relocation brackets as the last reply says, but when they are moved outboard like that it puts additional strain on the bushings that will cause premature failure of the bushings and has the potential to bind depending on how much travel and flex you have in your suspension system.

You really want a relocation bracket that turns the shock 90* as it moves the shocks out, that way you aren't fighting the bushing. This is an example of what you want, these are the ones we use:
Wrangler JK, 2007-2017, Front Shock Relocation
Old 05-15-2017, 08:48 AM
JK Newbie

I see what you mean!! Thanks for the link those will
Be going on for sure.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:06 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Agree with all the above. The brackets that turn the mount 90* are the way to go for less binding. I use(d) the Metalcloak ones and like them. I recently chopped off the factory shock brackets and installed 1/4" Artec ones. Even when outboarding the new brackets a bit, I still hit the frame rail. Unfortunately the MC brackets won't fit around the new Artecs due to the increased thickness....so looks like I'll be chopping up the MC brackets and welding them to the side of the new Artec mounts.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:14 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Skullcandy33
I see what you mean!! Thanks for the link those will
Be going on for sure.
You got it!
Old 05-16-2017, 04:11 AM
JK Newbie

I have relocation brackets on my Metalcloak lift, but they turn it 90 degrees. That way they can move slightly to make up for the angle.

Quick Reply: Help identifying what's going on here