Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help identifying lift kit(s)?

Old 02-08-2016, 04:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help identifying lift kit(s)?

I recently bought a 2012 2dr at a new car dealer lot, obviously a trade in, so I have no info on or from the previous owner, who did some mods. I suspect they were bargain basement mods and I wanna learn what I have so I'm safe.

Currently running Nitto 35/12.50/17s with plenty of clearance for a street Jeep.

Today I measured and determined it has a 2 inch body lift but my research shows these kits are understandably generic, hard to ID. Mine isn't even one of the few with diamond shaped pucks - just round, black plastic (urethane?), no markings on bolts or washers.

Also has some form of suspension lift. All I know at this point is it's not coil-over-shocks. No shocks inside the coils. Coils have no tags, stickers, or markings I can see. Bump stops are unmarked, yellow-ish. Stock? No clue.

Questions:
1) any hints on IDing the body lift? Does it matter much?

2) any hints on IDing the suspension lift? Coil colors? Paint? Stamps?

3) is there a tried and true measurement for the amount of suspension lift itself? At least then I might could narrow it down.

4) it's my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) that at a certain point of susp lift things like brake lines and gas filler pipes need to be adjusted/moved. Would this help me ID total lift measurements and do you have any tips to ID if these have been altered?

I know I sound like a n00b because I am a n00b to mods, but I know you all know so much you can help me. I'm just trying to learn all I can to be a) safe b) knowledgeable and c) not about to inherit some maintenance nightmare.

Thanks in advance

Ps: I have a work buddies stock Sahara for measurement comparisons. He's my baseline. And when I park next to him he hates it
Old 02-08-2016, 04:55 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Pictures...

The body mounts, the coils, the shocks, the control arms (get one of the axle end of the front lower arms), the front trackbar and draglink (try to get one that shows both ends of both bars in the same shot), etc, etc. And when you post them, have the courtesy to downsize if needed, don't throw up a dozen ginormous screen filling pics.

Spent a few seconds on a search for 2" body lift. Zone has round black plastic looking pucks instead of the diamond shaped one, and Performance Accessories uses mostly round black, with two that are diamond shaped.

Last edited by nthinuf; 02-08-2016 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Pictures... The body mounts, the coils, the shocks, the control arms (get one of the axle end of the front lower arms), the front trackbar and draglink (try to get one that shows both ends of both bars in the same shot), etc, etc. And when you post them, have the courtesy to downsize if needed, don't throw up a dozen ginormous screen filling pics.
Thanks and will do in the light tomorrow.

Question about the forum app: is the iPhone app camera picture post fine or are those ginormous pics? (Seriously asking)
Old 02-08-2016, 05:20 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I haven't actually used the app, so can't tell you. Post one and look at it. You can always delete, then resize and repost.

But I can say that I generally open iphone pics in Paint and resize them down to 35% of original before posting. That gives me small pics that are individually clickable to expand, rather than a string of huge pics that people have to scroll and scroll and scroll to see. (not a rule, just a courtesy...)

Last edited by nthinuf; 02-08-2016 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:09 PM
JK Newbie

With your questions and suggestions, and some daylight today, I was able to learn a bit more.

First, I was able to find (hidden) the labels on the coil springs - they're stock JK Sport, front and rear.

Second, I confirmed what I had already thought about the body lift, 2inches, hard plastic pucks, nothing special.

Next, after watching a couple TeraFlex install videos, just to figure out what things were, and where they might be, I was able to see where the coil spacer lift is.

I measured the front and rear coil spacers - both are black-painted steel, so I haven't been able to ID the manufacturer yet. Front is 2 inches, rear is 1.5 inches.

QUESTION: Doesn't that mean this kit was probably sold as a 1.75" lift/leveling/spacer kit?

Next, with the use of the Mopar section of my Quadratec catalog, I went to each suspension piece you mentioned above. From what I can tell, not a single item is not stock. There's nothing aftermarket about any of those things that I can tell.

Also, thanks to your questions and my nature, I have learned a lot today - like what the hell is a drag link, and so many more.

Let me analyze a bit more to make sure I didn't miss something, and then I'll probably have more questions soon (like when would I want a shock upgrade, and why, etc, for later).

Oh, almost forgot 3 more things:
I also found the shock extension adapters, at least on the rear (I haven't crawled under the front yet). Black H-Shaped metal, nothing identifiable. They look a lot like the TeraFlex brand on the Quadratec website, but nothing else on my Jeep appears to be TeraFlex, so these are probably also pretty generic.
And, I did see, front and rear, brake line relocation/extender brackets.
And #3, the shocks are stamped with the stock Chrysler logo and part numbers.

Again, thanks to your questions, you forced me to do more homework and I appreciate it!

Basically from what I can tell, the previous owner went bargain basement on the minimum budget items to get some ride height, which is fine for me for now by all means.

Quick Reply: Help identifying lift kit(s)?