Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help....I cant figure this out

Old 04-17-2011, 05:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help....I cant figure this out

So i had death wobble today. Just put on a RC 4 inch lift. I double checked all the typical DW issues all bushings look good, all bolts are torqued, had it aligned, tires balanced again.... So the only odd thing i cant figure out is why ive been getting DW and i also have an odd shimmy around 55-60MPH. It dosnt shake it dosnt do anything weird any other time. Im lost im getting fed up checking over everything just to find out it okay. Ive even had a local off road mechanic re check everything and he said it was all good to go....any thoughts out there?????
Old 04-17-2011, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bregan01
So i had death wobble today. Just put on a RC 4 inch lift. I double checked all the typical DW issues all bushings look good, all bolts are torqued, had it aligned, tires balanced again.... So the only odd thing i cant figure out is why ive been getting DW and i also have an odd shimmy around 55-60MPH. It dosnt shake it dosnt do anything weird any other time. Im lost im getting fed up checking over everything just to find out it okay. Ive even had a local off road mechanic re check everything and he said it was all good to go....any thoughts out there?????
It most likely has something to do with the lift. Have you read Planman's DW write up? About as good as it gets when it comes to diagnosing DW. Now to my own DW experience. Mine started about 3k miles after the lift. Turns out I needed to have my tires DYNAMICALLY balanced, which is quite different from spin balance. It requires specialized balancing equipment like a Hunter Road Force and someone who knows how to use it. That solved my DW issues. Good luck.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:12 PM
JK Jedi Master

Speed related shimmy is usually related to tire balance.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:30 PM
JK Jedi

did you loosen the control arms when you installed the lift and then tighten them up with the jeeps weight on itself setting on the ground ? also check your pitman arm torque.I would also check to see if your axles are centered. did you install adj. trackbars with the lift ? but as stated above might be a balancing issue
Old 04-17-2011, 07:34 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Try setting your toe in,to toe out 1/16-1/8.Took care of our problem until we upgraded our trac bars
Old 04-17-2011, 07:49 PM
JK Freak

Therza, I would like more info on the "dynamic" tire balancing as I have shimmy from 65-70, if you don't mind pm me when you get a chance.

Bregan01, I hope you get it figured out soon man, is it both DW and a shimmy? And does anything in particular set it off?
Old 04-18-2011, 12:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got it one time, right after rotating my tires. Not a pleasant experience.
It ended up being that the toe was way out of spec due to a bent tie rod.

I guess the front tires had worn in such a way that it never occurred until
the tire rotation.

Quick Reply: Help....I cant figure this out