Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help! have i done damage?!

Old 09-12-2011, 09:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! have i done damage?!

Me and a friend spent this evening trying to install my rough country body lift. we picked a bad time to do it as we were both tired and made the mistake of miscounting the body mounts. we mised one on each side ( the last one from the back mount) so when jacking the car up we found that only the front two spacers had little room to be removed so we jacked it up higher and higher until they could be removed. we were still unable to remove the back mounts and this was when we realized our mistake and found the last pair of mouts. i understand that this meant that with lifting it higher and higher to fit the front two spacers we were flexing the body between the fram mounts and the jack. Could i have done damage here by bending the body like this?

i hope this all makes sense.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:07 AM
JK Super Freak

bump........
Old 09-13-2011, 07:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch!

I think no one is answering because we cannot tell from here.

About all you can do is complete the task, tighten the stuff down.

As thin as the sheet metal is, any bending there was just might go back in place.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:37 AM
JK Freak

just trying to get a visual but just get it all together and check the mounting areas after to see what's bent - i doubt you would be able to bend the frame.

I'm assuming you didn't see any tear or enlarged holes on the mounts that weren't removed?
Old 09-13-2011, 08:12 AM
JK Super Freak

visually there does not seem to be anything that has been bent. the holes seemed fine and the bolts were still perfect. My main concern is that before realizing that there was another mounting point we jacked and jacked until hearing a creaking, cracking noise.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jtjk
visually there does not seem to be anything that has been bent. the holes seemed fine and the bolts were still perfect. My main concern is that before realizing that there was another mounting point we jacked and jacked until hearing a creaking, cracking noise.
I'd pull off the back points that were missed and inspect with a flashlight. If need be pull all the mounts again and verify any tears or cracks. I'd doubt there would be damage but if the body does tear you'll have it rusting in no time.

One good thing is that the body mounts are obviously pretty tough lol.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:39 AM
JK Super Freak

If you heard a crack....you may have one.

Might help to pull the back seat and carpets and do a close visual inspection from inside and outside.

You must of really been determined to lift that thing!
Old 09-13-2011, 05:13 PM
JK Junkie

I would button that baby up tight and see how it looks and rides. Even if you find some stress cracks or paint missing about all you can do is shoot some paint on it.

Quick Reply: Help! have i done damage?!