Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

HELP!! Got a rear end problem (make your own joke there!)

Old 06-16-2010, 07:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP!! Got a rear end problem (make your own joke there!)

Looks like I've got a failed pinion bearing. Time for a master overhaul kit. Worst part of it is, the e-locker could be compromised as well, but the shop is still assessing the situation and I'm waiting for a call back.

QUESTIONS
  1. I know guys have ARBs and love them, but has anyone replaced the rear Dana 44 factory e-locker with a Detroit? I'm on Northridge's site now and I can't even locate one.
  2. *I should know this question, but can anyone tell me what my spline count is on this axle? I guess I can wait for my mechanic to pull it apart to confirm, but it should be a normal Rubicon D44, no? 30 spline (as opposed to the 27 spline D30 I've got in front)?
*There is some confusion about whether or not a Wrangler X with the optional Dana 44 locking rear end is the very same axle that goes under a Rubicon. It may be there are actually three distinct axle housings sitting around the JK assembly line: Dana 35, Dana 44 open, Dana 44 e-locker with a different spline count than the D44 open (the latter being destined for Rubicons). I don't know this for sure though, hence the epilogue.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:24 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Under Dawg
Looks like I've got a failed pinion bearing. Time for a master overhaul kit. Worst part of it is, the e-locker could be compromised as well, but the shop is still assessing the situation and I'm waiting for a call back.

QUESTIONS
  1. I know guys have ARBs and love them, but has anyone replaced the rear Dana 44 factory e-locker with a Detroit? I'm on Northridge's site now and I can't even locate one.
  2. *I should know this question, but can anyone tell me what my spline count is on this axle? I guess I can wait for my mechanic to pull it apart to confirm, but it should be a normal Rubicon D44, no? 30 spline (as opposed to the 27 spline D30 I've got in front)?
*There is some confusion about whether or not a Wrangler X with the optional Dana 44 locking rear end is the very same axle that goes under a Rubicon. It may be there are actually three distinct axle housings sitting around the JK assembly line: Dana 35, Dana 44 open, Dana 44 e-locker with a different spline count than the D44 open (the latter being destined for Rubicons). I don't know this for sure though, hence the epilogue.
I am pretty sure the rear D44 w/elocker has a 32 spline count. The bigger issue is it uses unequeal length shafts. If you switch to a different locker style you may need to purchase new shafts of equal length. My best advice would be to spend a little extra at this point and upgrade to the selectable locker of your choice and 35 spline shafts.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:37 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

*I should know this question, but can anyone tell me what my spline count is on this axle? I guess I can wait for my mechanic to pull it apart to confirm, but it should be a normal Rubicon D44, no? 30 spline (as opposed to the 27 spline D30 I've got in front)?
This is all I've ever seen, nothing about a 3rd axle type.

Non-Rubi
30 front 27 spline
44 rear 30 spline

Rubi
44 front 30 spline
44 rear 32 spline

Last edited by nthinuf; 06-16-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks.

Turns out, Jeep uses three different rear end housings: 35, 44 non-Rubicon, 44 Rubicon. Carrier and pinion (and bearings for each) are larger on the 44R than the non-R. Seems nonsensical, but it's true.

If like me you're an X owner with the $750 factory e-locker option, you're getting not just the e-locker, but you're going from a 30-spline 44 to a 32-spline 44.

The good news is, my e-locker isn't compromised. So it's going to require a master overhaul kit and I'll be good to go. Whew, this could have been ALOT costlier.

Quick Reply: HELP!! Got a rear end problem (make your own joke there!)