Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help! Gears installed now Jeep will not turn & major lift issues.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Research Is The Key

GUYS- At the risk of sounding like an old windbag (which I admit is probably close to the truth) I must say that this forum is full of what we ALL want and that is EXPERIENCE. Before tackling any major mod check the forums here, I'll guarantee 50 guys have done it before you and have posted their results HERE. Even if you farm out the actual work itself, a little knowledge about the job will put you in the driver's seat as far as dealing with your installer.....
Old 05-25-2008, 07:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might also get some professional info from another installer about how the thing should be set. I agree you should hold the shop responsible for the work they have "done". But you can't make a pig fly. He might not have the ability to do it regardless of how loud you end up yelling at him for his incompetence. Did you pay with a credit card? Hold the payment? Or at least the labor costs?

Call Screamin Lizard in Bedford and ask to speak with Gerry Pifer and/or Adam (?last name?). They're great guys who know their stuff. And they're sponsors for the forum.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys! I am just fed up with this guy. I am not sure if he just does not want to take the time to fine tune my lift or he does not know how. He has been in the biz for over 20 years thats why I am giving him a chance to make this right. But at this time the jeep can not even back out of his shop if you try to turn left without the tire hitting the frame. I expected it to rub a little but not to the point it can not even make a left turn. Even if he does get this resolved I think I want to take the Jeep to another installer just to check everything out to make sure its correct.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have only paid $100 for a down payment on the gears.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TINMAN080
GUYS- At the risk of sounding like an old windbag (which I admit is probably close to the truth) I must say that this forum is full of what we ALL want and that is EXPERIENCE. Before tackling any major mod check the forums here, I'll guarantee 50 guys have done it before you and have posted their results HERE. Even if you farm out the actual work itself, a little knowledge about the job will put you in the driver's seat as far as dealing with your installer.....
That's good advice!!
Old 05-25-2008, 08:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm if he has the lift on so bad that the jeep cant even turn I would be Extremely scared of how he set up the gears

I agree about research, I found out about my shop through someone on this forum and didnt find anything bad about them, so I went with them after they told me they had done gears in jk before and also had done ft lift before, I eventually found out that was a lie.

I hope your guy can get it worked out without having to go thru all the trouble of taking it to another shop. Good luck
Old 05-25-2008, 08:45 AM
JK Newbie

I would also suggest that you get in touch with the lift mfg. Get their e-mail address and send them those pictures. Ask them to provide a written recomendation and give that to the installer.

I had a severe bump-steer problem with the rubicon 4.5" lift. I brought it back to the shop twice and both times they insisted nothing was wrong. I was able to learn what was wrong by posting pictures (as you did) on this forum but also by getting in touch with R/E and sending them the pictures via e-mail.

It really cuts to the chase when you can bring in a print-out to the installer from the lift mfg that says here is what you did wrong and here is how to resolve it.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Twisty101
Just had a lift and 5.13's installed and Jeep will not turn. The lift was installed and tested and everything worked great. Now my installer just got done installing the gears and the Jeep will not turn. The computer keeps fighting him any clue on what the issue is? Can I reset the computer some how? He tried turning the traction control off using the button inside but that did not work.
did you check the locker, and check to see if it he got the proper gear, for the front, do you have a dana 30? the ring is a reverse rotation, may be causing the issue, have you put in 4x4 to see what happens if he has the wrong ring gear, with tcase in 4wd, it should not move any direction, just be easy on the gas so you don't break things. that will tell quick,

i had a similar incident with a old ranger truck, dude put in the wrong gears, after break in went to wheel, rolling about 15 shifted into 4hi, well needless to say the truck dropped a few part.

the locker could also be the prob, if you have a locker. check by raising vehicle off the ground, have someone hold other tire and spin opp tire front to back, listed for ratchiting sound, then do the other side, if you want better instruction download locker directions and follow there check after intall.

also see if the intaller messed up one of the sensors, broke or or get stressed when they tried to put in springs,

Last edited by blkpearl; 05-25-2008 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If he cant fix it or make it right then refund. That is all I meant.

This is also why I do all my own work!!!

Quick Reply: Help! Gears installed now Jeep will not turn & major lift issues.