Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help! Gears installed now Jeep will not turn & major lift issues.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Gears installed now Jeep will not turn & major lift issues.

Just had a lift and 5.13's installed and Jeep will not turn. The lift was installed and tested and everything worked great. Now my installer just got done installing the gears and the Jeep will not turn. The computer keeps fighting him any clue on what the issue is? Can I reset the computer some how? He tried turning the traction control off using the button inside but that did not work.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

bump!bump!bump!
Old 05-24-2008, 02:14 PM
JK Freak

what do you mean it wont turn? you mean turn over? the gears wont turn?
Old 05-24-2008, 02:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

I can start the Jeep drive back and forward. When I try to turn the steering wheel the computer takes over and will not let me turn. Left or right. The ESP light does not come on. Just goes back to center.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you driving a Rubi or have front lockers of any kind?
Old 05-24-2008, 03:07 PM
JK Freak

Seer 1 is onto the likely issue. The traction control system has no active control over the steering other than to apply the brakes to one front wheel or the other.

The most likely culprit is that after the gears were installed, the locker is stuck locked, or the install has caused some binding to the spider gear assembly in the differential and effectively locked the axle up. Raise the front wheels off the ground and spin one wheel. If they spin in the same direction then that is the issue. If they spin in opposite directions, there is another problem and I have no idea what it could be.

Keep us posted.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Found out the issue. I just had the 4 inch Full traction installed with lockers and all. The front left tire is rubing on the frame and one of the bars. It only happens on the left side the right does not rub at all. No clue what is going on very frustrating. Also in the back the tire is really close to the body. I though I could run 37 with not problem with this lift I guess not unless something is wrong with the lift or it was installed incorrectly.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like he didnt adjust the track bars to recenter the axles, they are both over to one side causing the rubbing. Look up in the project jk write ups on how to adjust them.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Major lift issues please help Full Traction 4 inch

Just had a 4 inch Full Traction lift installed. (short arm) Unless the lift was installed incorreclty, I am having some major fitment issues. Supposed to fit 37 with ease. I have 37 X 12.50 BFG KM2's. Mounted on Rock Crawler rims 17X9's with 4.25 back spacing. I have major rubbing when turning left. The tires rub on the frame and the bar. The Jeep is currently undriveable because it rubs very easily when turning left. When turning right it is really close to rubbing but doesn't. The back tires are about an inch from hitting the body or the rubicon rails. This is a Rubicon 4 door. Is this normal? any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_020.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	9528   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_021.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	9529  
Old 05-24-2008, 06:25 PM
JK Jedi Master

Get a sawzall and cut about 2"s off of the rock rail and trim the corner of the pinch seam.

Pics of pinch seam trim jobs

Quick Reply: Help! Gears installed now Jeep will not turn & major lift issues.