Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

HELP! Front LCA problems

Old 04-25-2011, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default HELP! Front LCA problems

So I'm a dangerous amateur and did something stupid. Never having done much on the Jeep, I installed a new front bumper and TF 2.5" Coil lift with TF adj. front LCAs and a JKS front Adj trackbar (2DR Manual). The lift, with some good learning points, went smoothly. I had to leave to go back to NY and didnt have time to do a front end alignment, so I figured if i put the adjustable LCAs and track bar in the stock positions the ride might be a little flighty and the axle off by 1/8" but it would be driveable and i could dial everything in later....

Long story short, my father and I both got under the jeep, took off the LCAs and put in the new ones.. problem.. in a rush, we took both LCAs off at the same time. We put the new LCAs in the same spot, but i think the axle rotated towards the rear and we didnt notice. When the new stuff was installed I went to drive away and as soon as i apply a lot of power to first i hear clunk clunk clunk. after my heart dropped i looked under and I have a negative pinion angle (i think?). i think what im hearing/feeling is driveline vibration and I think that its fixable.

Here's what i wanna know (and I know i'm gonna get yelled at for what I did): Does it look like I broke anything? What should I check? and would disconnecting both new LCAs, jacking up under the pinion and putting the stockers back, then following the DIY front end alightnment to dial it in be the best course of action? would i hurt anything by disconnecting both again. thanks so much for the help and advice!

Front connection to D30:
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0321.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	153899
Front DS angle:

Name:	DSC_0328.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	153900
Rear DS:

Name:	DSC_0337.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	153872
Rear connection to D44:

Name:	DSC_0338.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	153901

Last edited by murdoc319; 04-25-2011 at 04:23 PM. Reason: missed a detail
Old 04-25-2011, 04:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh wow, yea your angle is pretty severe. I actually just put one of these on a buddy of mine's jeep..., teraflex 2.5" lift on a two door which replaced shocks and springs. You really don't need the LCA's and adj. track bar for that amount of lift. at least not on his...2010 sport. He actually says that it rides a heck of a lot better than it did stock and he's still got the stock control arms and track bars. You want your driveshaft to be as close to in-line as possible with the pinion so you'll need to shorten the LCA (or just put the stock one's back on). hope this helps a little... i'll look closer at the pics to see if you broke anything. it may havce just bound up on you since the angle is so steep.

Last edited by VaNomad0530; 04-25-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Your LCAs are entirely too long causing excessive caster which, in turn, causes the excessive angle on the front driveline. ...Take them off, measure 23" from eye to eye on the LCAs, then reinstall. 23" is a good start point as per quite a few members here...
Old 04-25-2011, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

..yea, i think you just bound it up at the front. the rear looks ok unless someone see's something I don't. It looks like your ujoint is binding on itself. My advice?...put the stock control arms back on along with the stock track bar...and use the money you sell them for something else you want for your jeep...or just sell the track bar and adjust your front lca's to be a lot shorter so your driveshaft is inline with your pinion angle. search some threads on the angle and you'll see some pics that will show you what it should look like
Old 04-25-2011, 04:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks guys, yea i understand what happened, my main concern was if its easily reversible/ if i broke something. I should note I literally went up my driveway, down one house, and back into the driveway. I hope that didnt put too much strain on things. I know the adjustable stuff isnt that necessary but she does pull a little to the right stock and I figured if I could dial this stuff in, great, and if I ever go bigger, I've already got some of the gear.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats the beauty of adjustable control arms, you can fix this problem by re-adjusting.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:21 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Hopefully you did not damage the joints. Just shorten those lowers until you are at 5 degrees caster or so before you drive it again.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by murdoc319
thanks guys, yea i understand what happened, my main concern was if its easily reversible/ if i broke something. I should note I literally went up my driveway, down one house, and back into the driveway. I hope that didnt put too much strain on things. I know the adjustable stuff isnt that necessary but she does pull a little to the right stock and I figured if I could dial this stuff in, great, and if I ever go bigger, I've already got some of the gear.
sounds like you should be alright. You'll have to let us know if you have any other issues. Btw, I read you said that your jeep pulls to the right. I think I remember WOL saying in another thread, about tires, that there was a brand that actually did pull your jeep to the right...Toyos maybe? I can't remember. Anywho, that may be a reason why you're getting some pull. So if you still are getting some pull after using the adjustable stuff, the tires may be part of the reason...maybe. I hear you though on buying what you can now to make your ride the way you want it later. Good luck and let us know results!
Old 04-25-2011, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VaNomad0530
sounds like you should be alright. You'll have to let us know if you have any other issues. Btw, I read you said that your jeep pulls to the right. I think I remember WOL saying in another thread, about tires, that there was a brand that actually did pull your jeep to the right...Toyos maybe? I can't remember. Anywho, that may be a reason why you're getting some pull. So if you still are getting some pull after using the adjustable stuff, the tires may be part of the reason...maybe. I hear you though on buying what you can now to make your ride the way you want it later. Good luck and let us know results!
Are you sure it wasn't talking about Bilstein Steering Stabalizers pulling to the right? I remember reading something about that recently.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:56 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You need to get that changed asap! there can not be that much threads left inside the arms and you could possibly rip the joint off.

You only need to extend them 3/8" of a inch .

David

Quick Reply: HELP! Front LCA problems