Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help!! Freezing and installing hidden winch in stock bumper

Old 12-29-2012, 02:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! Freezing and installing hidden winch in stock bumper

Hey y'all, were installing a winch in an 08 rubi with stock bumper and there is a rubber isolator/mount for the swaybar disco in the way...is this only for support and can we take it off and replace with HD zip tie?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-150649646.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	403260
Old 12-29-2012, 03:08 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

The e-disco mechanism never sees much torque. The rubber link just keeps it from flopping around.
So, you could weld a pin in another location, and connect the rubber link to it.

Any way you can show how this is in the way of your hidden winch?
This may be an item I'd be interested in.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:20 PM
JK Newbie

Name:	image-985586075.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	403289

Thanks!! Here is progress so far
Old 12-29-2012, 10:12 PM
JK Newbie

Sorry I didn't read your reply right (it was freezing in the garage, we ran out of propane for the heater), so here is a description of why it was in the way. When we mounted the winch to the winch plate and placed it between the frame rails, the motor side of the winch (on the passenger side) was hitting the rubber mount/isolator. We had to clock the clutch side to the rear about 60 degrees to be able to use the free spool option if needed as it was hitting on the crossmember in the front of the frame. As for the rubber piece pictured above (actually had metal within the rubber), we had to trim that back to get it to fit (with a little persuasion haha). The winch plate is a universal one that harbor freight had. We had to trim it a little to make it fit perfectly (and let me tell you, the winch plate was a PITA to trim!!! Even with die grinder!!)

We were able to get the winch it's self mounted and the inner metal part of the stock bumper trimmed to fit the roller fairlead. We ran out of time and it was too cold to cut the opening in the plastic part of the bumper between the fog lights and run the wiring. He wants the solenoid to be mounted under the hood, and to have the plug for the remote inside the cab on the dash, so there will be some wiring that will need to be done very soon!

We ended up bolting the winch plate to the frame rails (in lieu of welding) using grade 8 bolts and drilling a few holes.

So far, it's coming out very well!! It is an extremely tight fit (I'm talking millimeters of clearance in a lot of places.

I will try and post pictures of the finished product when all is said and done.

I hope everyone has a happy and safe new year!

(Ps, I should have mentioned he has the quadratec q9000 winch, and stock cut stubby bumper)
Old 03-12-2013, 08:49 AM
JK Newbie

Well, it's finally done!! We finally got the time and decent weather to finish the install. He ended up ordering longer wires to mount the solenoid under the good and to relocate the plug for the winch controller. Here are some pics!

Name:	image-3208766307.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	433005

Name:	image-3085727886.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	433006

Name:	image-422048319.jpg