Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help with engine.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Renzo Fighter
What can i do that wont break the bank to help with uphill driving. No matter the incline i have to downshift. Even on the highway. I have a 4' lift with 35x12.50 20's. Yes i know 20's. lets get past that.

Can i get some info on what people did to help this? Without gears?
I don't think anyones as concerned about your 20's as much as your 35's with stock gearing and a stick.
Do you have the tow package from the factory? In '07 that would have netted you 4.10's, but still those aren't gonna be enough to turn 35's...if no tow package then your trying to turn them with 3.21's no doubt your downshifting to get up a hill....how the hell have you managed to drive them this long even
I know you didn't want to hear it...but like everyone else has said...your only real answer is to re-gear...probably 4.88's with your 6-speed. If you wanted to alter your engine to turn them...better just rip it out and put in the Hemi, now how cost effective is that against re-gearing
Even if you priced out performance exhausts, chips, CAI's, this and that you'll probably find it comperable to re-gearing...plus re-gearing will place less strain on your entire drivetrain resulting in a longer lasting vehicle
Old 04-17-2009, 01:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am ok with 35 and 4.10 with my manual. the good thing about a stick is you pick your shift point. 35's are a bigger issue with auto.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

get the power that you are looking for
supercharger (expensive) very good power
hemi swap (real expensive) extremely good power
regearing (fairly inexpensive) best bang for your buck
good luck
Old 04-17-2009, 02:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put your Jeep on a diet.

It's free and makes your Jeep haul up hills in higher gears.

Gained about an inch of lift too!

I put the doors back on for driving through town but it really does make a difference in acceleration to remove all the heavy stuff.

Here's a start. Estimating weight based on my removing parts at home.

250 lb hard top
300 lb pair of doors
80 lb back seat
75 lb spare tire
20 lbs of carpet

So, 700 lbs give or take you can remove at home for free?
Old 04-17-2009, 02:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LOST
Put your Jeep on a diet.

250 lb hard top
300 lb pair of doors
80 lb back seat
75 lb spare tire
20 lbs of carpet

So, 700 lbs give or take you can remove at home for free?
get yourself a scale, lighter will help but your numbers are WAY off

the unlimited hard top weighs 95lbs minus the front panels but the panels are no where near 75lbs each or even together

one door is no where near 150lbs

spare you are prolly close on
Old 04-17-2009, 03:37 PM
JK Super Freak

OK, here is a breath of fresh air, so you don't want gears eh? Well there is another alternative, especially since you are probably running an auto..............

Get a rather LARGE HEMI! I'd say it is only about 10 X's the cost of gears, but who cares, right? A Hemi is like totally awesome!

Of course you could always deflate your tires when going uphill down to 5 lbs or so, change the effective tire radius to14" or there abouts, OR always drive down the hills let others pull you up.

Oh oh, I know, turn to Islam, get 5 wives and a bunch of kids and have them get out and push you over!

Yeah, I'm being a smart aleck. Listen to your peers, they're right.

Quick Reply: Help with engine.